Anybody have a crainotomy to remove avm, that has no side effects

i was just wondering if anybody had their avm removed, that did not have a bleed that have no side effects from the crainotomy
thanks
carroll

Well, yes, mostly…

Chari’s AVM was treated by several embolizations, two proton beam radiations, micro-surgery to fix an aneurysm that showed up after embo #2, and finally, resection of what was left of the AVM.

Following one of the embolizations, she developed a drop foot that took years of therapy and finally foot surgery to mostly correct it.

As far as bad results from the surgery to remove the AVM, there was some eye crossing for about 2 months, but that went away. So from that perspective, she had no ill effects from surgery.

Her’s never bled.

Ron, KS

In 2007 My husband had a craintomy to remove small AVM located in left temporal lobe. He never had a bleed. Only side effect he has is some sensititivty to light and sometimes the incision site tingles. He says those are his only side effects. I notice him to be much more irritable than he was before the surgery, but that might just be a side effect of being married to me. That’s a joke (i think). I was amazed that he was actually up and out with friends just a few days after surgery.

Hi!
I had craniotomy done on 04/11/09. Slight headaches…Thats all…My avm did bleed on 11/26/08.

My son had a bleed and then two craniotomies. He is doing great.

Hi Kat … I had a craniotomy in 07 for a bleed and my AVM was removed from my left occipital lobe. Just thought I would share that I have had irritability as well - and discovered after about a year it had to do with MTBI and resulting “gaps in attention” …I’ve learned (and continue to learn) how to manage this through speech therapy … I am able to manage environments in which there is “too much data input”, to recognize my exhaustion threshold which is far different that it was before, and to compensate for slith visual deficits … I can’t imagine your husband’s irritability would be a reaction to someone who is so obviously supportive as you! … but thought I would share my experience in the event it could lead to any testing/therapies that might help with this … I know it was driving me nutty til I understood what was going on …Meantime it sounds like, and I am glad, that you and husband are doing overall very well …

Kat said:

In 2007 My husband had a craintomy to remove small AVM located in left temporal lobe. He never had a bleed. Only side effect he has is some sensititivty to light and sometimes the incision site tingles. He says those are his only side effects. I notice him to be much more irritable than he was before the surgery, but that might just be a side effect of being married to me. That’s a joke (i think). I was amazed that he was actually up and out with friends just a few days after surgery.