AVM and work

Hello all, im new here so hello :)

Im always interested whether people have managed to go back to work, or part time, or no at all. As for myself, im reasonably "lucky" - my AVM was quite early and was in training at the time, eventually i went to college and went for a design job as my speech is not very good. These days im a seniour graphic/web designer, altho its hard and i totally dread phone calls (can never store numbers well) but i get by. What about u?

Richard, I’ll be the first person to respond…I no longer am able to work, since I had my AVM brain bleed in 2007. My brain injury was on my left temporal lob and I have problems with Speech and Language, short term memory loss, ect. All the phone numbers have to be listed to get by that way. I’m so happy that you can work…it does make life more interesting.

Hi Richard,

Just wanted to welcome you to the site.

I have not been able to work for several years now.

Tori

Hello Richard,

I work full time and am planning a Gala to raise money for the Hospital in my area where I am currently being treated. I have had two bleeds but luckily so major side effects.

Thank you for the post!

Melissa

Hi, Richard…welcome to our family! I’ve been out of work about 5-1/2 years…just a few months after being diagnosed. Originally, I took a leave of absence because oall the testing, then the numbing of my left arm became permanent. The headaches came more frequently and more severe; I got so tired that I even fell asleep standing in the shower! I sure do miss the independence of driving and working!

Hi Richard!

I guess you would consider me lucky as well. My AVM is in my leg, from my pelvis down to my toes. While I've been on crutches for almost 20 years...I'm a PhD student and am hopeful to be defending this summer. Went to college and grad school.

hi richard,

i had my avm when i first started college in 2005 and i had to take 2 semesters off of school from my head operation but i recovered well enough to go back to school and finish in may 2006 and then start another school in july that same year. My speech was slurred as well and i hated explaining to people why and why my hairstyle was side ways all the time( half my hair was shaved off) =). And during school that same year 2006 after my gamma knife radiation i went to work after 3 months of radiation.

i guess it really depends on how you feel and if you have enough endurance and strength to deal with a full work day. Your job doesn't seem as if it would require hard manual labor, so i would suggest just take it day by day and don't work yourself to hard. take it easy breezy and enjoy every day =)

Richard, Nice of you to join us. I learned about my AVM almost 2 years ago and I work and go to school full time!

Richard: I am back to work thankfully as a hospice nurse. I get tired and headaches daily but my patients keep me going. I am so blessed to be able to work and thank God every day! mare

My job requires me to work 50 over four days. I usually come home exhausted and day five is a write off. I have requested that my shift be broken up when I go back to work after treatment in July. I was as a Developmental Service Worker and my employer has been very understanding so far. I hope it continues.

My AVM resulted to learning that I had ADD. Talk with your Dr. I am
taking Adderall which helped a Great Deal. Best wishes

Hi Richard, welcome to the site. I’m like Louisa and am no longer able to work. My bleed was almost 3 years ago and while I did attempt to go back to work a few months after I was out of the hospital, it did not go very well. My deficits are too great to make any type of meaningful work possible. I sure do miss it though.

hi richard im one of the bless ones no deficits whats so ever full time fireman welcome to this site

Hi Richard,

Good to hear that you are working and agree that there are challenges. I teach Computing and the English Language - in China, Thailand and the Middle East since 2000. I have been forced to take a 'sabbatical' since my 2nd event of collapsing in late 2008 (Event 1 was a major stroke and cerebral bleed in Thailand in June 2005) when my AVM was finally identified.
But on my return to UK permanently in Jan this year, my health and attitude have improved greatly and I am gradually building up to return to work in teaching again. My memory is not perfect, but my view is some part-time work and responsibility would be great for my self-esteem and confidence. It won't be easy, but I wish you very well and please keep us posted on your progress and believe in little victories every day.

kind regards,

Paul

Hi Richard

I have been back to work for 5 months as a heavy equipment mechanic.At first things went well. The more i try to do what i used to the more i realize I am not the same person.I spend half my day looking for tools i set down somewhere.I can no longer multitask.I come home exhausted and sore for days.The harder i push the worse it gets.Im pretty lucky in that i have worked for the same company for 30 years and have enough seniority so i can slow down.

Mike

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear your working again and your college accomplishments! I've had my fare share of problems and challenges. My employeer at the time of my AVM did not want me back. They claim in would be unsafe for me to return. :( I have worked for a guy, doing industrial cleaning, cold calls to get him more jobs and I babysat his 3 children. All the while, not getting 1 paycheck. Unfornately, I had to file an account at the Labour Board of Canada to get my pays. I'm still waiting 4 years later... A year ago I had worked at welding shoppe cleaning. It was good but due to the smell and the welding dust, I had to give it up after 8 months. I was getting headaches again and they where getting more serve the longer I tried to stick it out! I have worked on vehicle since my AVM. A love from before and after! Just recently I signed up to be a AVON rep~~ I hope all goes well that! :)

I was selling candles online when I was diganosed. I did this for 6 years prior to my AVM. Since everything 3 1/2 years ago I have not gone back to work. Since I did not hold down a steady normal job my SSDI was denied. Even though I have issues. So as to this I am back in school with help from school disabilty . I am almost done with Web Design degree and then will start my BA in web development. It sucks on days like these were I can barely think & see. I am so happy for you Richard, I want to work again and hope to do so in my desired field I am studying. I am lucky too with miniumal issues but still have them.

I am lucky I have not had a bleed or procedure yet. Its been in monitoring status most of my life. However it did cause me to have a seizure disorder , and I have ADD, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia. Through the use technology and really really hard study I was able to graduate and get a good it job… I occasionally get stuck on a word or two. That for a breaf moment cant get out. Normally after some one says it to me I can say it. However iv been quite lucky in this regard. Also I have problems like any other person with learning disabilities. This is part of the reason I do not want to do any procedure unless its 100% needed because I do not want to risk not being able to function at the level im at now.

I did have my AVM bleed but I was lucky. As soon as I lost my speech, everything of that night seemed to go fast for me. My AVM is on the left side of the brain too. Within 5hrs I lost my whole right side and was in two hospitals. The doctors didn't think I'd make it to lunch time. Well, I showed them! My AVM shrunk drastically within 3 days. So I have not had any surgery and probably won't. I have come along way and don't want or care to back up any. I'll probably always have trouble with math skills, some grammar and the occasionally problem finding the right words. I'm greatful to beable to walk and talk. All the best to you! :)

Brian Hursey said:

I am lucky I have not had a bleed or procedure yet. Its been in monitoring status most of my life. However it did cause me to have a seizure disorder , and I have ADD, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia. Through the use technology and really really hard study I was able to graduate and get a good it job.. I occasionally get stuck on a word or two. That for a breaf moment cant get out. Normally after some one says it to me I can say it. However iv been quite lucky in this regard. Also I have problems like any other person with learning disabilities. This is part of the reason I do not want to do any procedure unless its 100% needed because I do not want to risk not being able to function at the level im at now.

hi all thanks for the info and the honesty. I guess each to their own AVM, some worse than others, obviously. Good for u kat for your degree; i went back to college but there was no way i could do a degree, too much info on the day for me. So thats great for u, good luck. And good for u paul, im sure teaching can be a very stressful job! But tbh, that could be why i post this - its the stress that really puts me off, and why i have to be at work, 8 hours a day. Im aphasic, i just dread the phone. Does anyone else have the same sort of problem?