Avm free!

Hi AVM Friends and Survivors!

It’s been awhile since I’ve been online, but I’m writing today to let you all know I survived my embolization and craniotomy in April with flying colors! Thanks to Dr. Barrow and Dr. Cawley at Emory, I’m healthy and back at work, teaching, and feeling normal again. I had a very positive experience overall with no side effects. In fact, I know how lucky I am to have no lingering issues at all. I’m moving around, power walking the dog, doing things with my kids. It’s all good!

For those of you wondering if a craniotomy is right for you, I can’t begin to tell you how scared I was to go through with the surgery, but am so glad I did! I sleep through the night now for the first time I can ever remember (no more blood swishing noises in my head!) and am rested and have tons of energy. I didn’t realize how tired the AVM was making me.

Thank goodness for the Emory team and all of their years of experience!

Yours in good health,

Debbie Noto
Georgia

Congrats and that is WONDERFUL to here! Did you have to stay awake through the whole surgery & how long did it last?

Super hurrah! This is FABULOUS news!

GREAT NEWS–Congratulations!

As for the noise (bruit), Chari said she missed her’s when it diminished after each embolization, and left finally with the crani. It had been her “pal” since birth, and it helped calm her to go to sleep at night. (she’s over it now).

Ron, KS

Fantastic, Debbie! That’s great news!

Congratulations Debbie! So glad you’re doing well.

Congrats!!!

CONGRATS!!! Soooooooooooooo very happy for you, Debbie!!!

Congrat’s that is fantastic

Kia Kaha Taiki

DM

Horray!

Take care,
Debbie

Hi Debbie. The title says it all my two favorite words. Congrats.

Congratulations. I am happy for you.

Thanks Debbie for the reply-yes I have an AVM-it is very large & recommended I leave it alone. I’m getting another opinion hopefully soon. It would be great to get rid of this, as I think about it every day & have bad anxiety from it! Glad everything turned out for you!!

Debbie Noto said:
Marcylynn,

I was completely knocked out...about 10 hours in all and when I woke up I instantly knew I was better as my head was quiet. Also, I had no surgery pain AT ALL. I didn't even take pain meds once I left ICU after 1 day. So lucky. Do you have an AVM or someone you know? If you do, have you had surgery? It is very scary, but now that I'm on the other side of it, I'm so glad I did it.

Thanks for asking about me!

marcylynn said:
Congrats and that is WONDERFUL to here! Did you have to stay awake through the whole surgery & how long did it last?

Congrats to you! My husband just had a sucessful cranio a little over two weeks ago. Good for us to post success stories on here as you hear less about the cases that go “well”. I know I was searching frantically for success stories the couple of days before his surgery.

Best of luck to you and best of good health to you as well! Cheers.

This is FANTASTIC news Debbie and thank you so much for sharing this with us. This is exactly what gives us all hope —> those words, whenever I hear that someone is AVM FREE is music to my ears :)))!!! And keeps me hopeful!

/Michele

That’s awesome news Debbie. Yet another success story!!

Congratulations!,

i thought everyone heard “the noise” too. ive even asked ppl if they ever heard that noise. ppl would usually say they did but only under water or just before they fall asleep when laying a certain way or something like that. i heard it everyday, out of water, standing up, wide awake. i havent heard it since my crani 2 months ago.

Debbie Noto said:

The noise! I thought everyone could hear blood swooshing in their head…silly me! But, it’s quiet in there now and I’m getting the best sleep of my life!

Cheers!

Ron, Kansas said:
GREAT NEWS–Congratulations!

As for the noise (bruit), Chari said she missed her’s when it diminished after each embolization, and left finally with the crani. It had been her “pal” since birth, and it helped calm her to go to sleep at night. (she’s over it now).

Ron, KS

Debbie, thank you sooooo much for posting this! I'm having a coil embo with Dr. Cawley on July 31, 2012. 75% chance of success and if it doesn't work he will do a craniotomy the next day. I have begun to get anxious so to read this brings great relief! And especially the part about your fatigue. I stay so fatigued and certain people in my life do not understand (nor do I for that matter - I just know that I am)but they are not necessarily kind to me about it!

THanks again and congrats!
Jenny

Congrats, That's great news!!!