AVM Volunteering

My AVM bled about three weeks ago and luckily I have basically no long-term damage. I feel like I need to give back to people who were not so lucky. Does anyone know any volunteer opportunities where I can help other people who are recovering. I live in NYC.

Perhaps the best and most effective volunteering might be to hang out here.

Most folks who arrive at this great site have just found out they or a person close to them has an AVM. Scared, not having any idea what this awful issue is they have just heard about. Some might fear they’ve just been handed a death sentence.

Honest, calm, explanations of your experiences, along with gentle suggestions of options they might investigate, seem to be greatly appreciated. If nothing else, you will find someone who is going through what you went through.

This site has mushroomed in size and people are joining (such as you) all the time. If you read most of the posts, and respond to a few, you will be busier than ever. It feels good (to me at least).

Best Wishes,
Ron, KS

Thanks…Great idea…This site has already started helping me feel better already :slight_smile:

I live in jersey (embos out of Cornell)and would love to try to do something also…I feel like something is telling me to help, whether its fundraising to raise money or even awareness, support something… if you hear of anything let me know… Mare

I know what you mean…I definitely feel like something is telling me I am supposed to do something. i just don’t know what. I feel like I wouldn’t have survived this if there wasn’t some bigger purpose for me. I’m not very religious or anything, but I definitely feel like there’s something I’m supposed to do to help someone, just caus ethat might make it make sense why I’m ok…I kinda feel like the sole survivor of a car crash…like why did I come out ok when so many other people didn’t

Mare said:

I live in jersey (embos out of Cornell)and would love to try to do something also…I feel like something is telling me to help, whether its fundraising to raise money or even awareness, support something… if you hear of anything let me know… Mare

You survived something very serious and now you appreciate your life like never before. The appreciation of life and need to give back is something many never receive until they are on their death bed and it’s too late to do anything about it.

Accept this gift with gratitude and share it with the world.

There are many things you can do. You can spend time here, like Ron suggested and comfort others. That is a great suggestion. You can do some in-person volunteering with brain trauma centers or local hospitals.

It’s a great opportunity to change your life. Keep us updated!