Balance Issues

I am just wondering if anyone has had any issues with their children having any balance issues with their children after having a craniotomy. Lately Mason has been having a lot of falls. I feel like he is always falling. He currently has another AVM close to the one that was removed. I am worried maybe this is a sign of trouble with this AVM or possible side effects from his surgery. Any thoughts? Any balance issues before Rupture. Unfortunatley with Mason’s first rupture it happened so fast he had no warning signs. The last couple of falls he had he has hit his head. It scares me to peices so any information would be wonderful. Thanks

Please make sure to talk to his neurologist and neurosurgeon about the falls, because no one here can say for sure.

My husband has had balance problems since his left frontal-temporal bleed and craniotomy. For him, the problem comes from the fact that his right leg is now weaker than the other, and the toes are stiff. So one possibility is weakness in the side of Mason’s body opposite the AVM. If that’s the case, physical therapy could probably help.

My son has a lot of balance issues. His AVMs are in the cerebellum, basal ganglia and thalamus. He had a stroke when he was 6 months of age and has always had balance issues. I think it is a combination of weekness from stoke and where his AVMs are located. We also worry very much about him hitting his head expecially since he has prominent veins on his face. He also has better days then others. One day he has really bad balance and the next day it is better. I think it also has to do with how tired he is. Hopes this helps some.

thanks for all the input. It helps when trying to determine what is going on with him… Everything is appreciated.

Betsy said:

My son has a lot of balance issues. His AVMs are in the cerebellum, basal ganglia and thalamus. He had a stroke when he was 6 months of age and has always had balance issues. I think it is a combination of weekness from stoke and where his AVMs are located. We also worry very much about him hitting his head expecially since he has prominent veins on his face. He also has better days then others. One day he has really bad balance and the next day it is better. I think it also has to do with how tired he is. Hopes this helps some.

I was a black belt in Shotokan Karate at one point in my life. As part of my training I would often do things like practice kata in a completely dark room to see how close I’d end up to the place where I started. One of my fellow students and I would take turns putting on a blindfold while the other held a kicking bag. The one holding the kicking bag would slap the bag and the person with the blindfold would have to use their sense of hearing to locate the bag and punch or kick it. I also used to be able to stand on one foot, kick something out of a person’s hand held at face-level and keep standing on one foot without ever having to put my other foot down.

After surgery, I could not stand on one foot with my eyes closed for more than 2-3 seconds. Even today (4.5 years later), I have the occasional stumble. I don’t fall down, just trip or run into an object. I think my 50% loss of vision is a big factor, but not the only factor.