Balance problems

Does the balance issue ever get better? I walk like a toddler and my actions are greatly slowed. Does anyone have any hope on moving faster and walking straight?

Hi Piper,

My husband has balance problems too. For him, it’s a result of weakness and stiffness in his right foot (from a left-side AVM bleed). He found biking very helpful in making both legs more equal, and he had physical therapy as well. There are exercises you can do at home and at the gym–if you think weakness might be the problem, maybe you can ask your doctor to help you pick out some exercises for the weaker side. His doctor also recommends yoga or tai chi, which is supposed to be good for balance–if you want to try it, I’d make sure to talk with your doctor first.

Jorie

Has your AVM been obiterated from embolization or are you awaitng further treatment?

It will take some time to get back some of your balance. But you never get it back the way you had it before the bleed(s).

My AVM is almost gone after embelazation and the gama knife! But I am left off balance.

Dawn said:

Has your AVM been obiterated from embolization or are you awaitng further treatment?

Hi Michel,

About how long is “some time” a year? Two? I can wait, but I want an idea of the time table I am looking at. I have hopes of getting it back, but I don’t expect it to ever fully come back.

Thanks for answering though! :slight_smile:

Piper

michael santos said:

It will take some time to get back some of your balance. But you never get it back the way you had it before the bleed(s).

Thanks answering me! :)I have never thought of biking. I will try it. How about a treadmill? Does he have any luck with that? I do have access to a treadmill.

You say that Yoga really helps? Why? I just want to get your opinion. Do you know anyone who has been successful with Yoga? I would really like to try it.

Piper

JH said:

Hi Piper,

My husband has balance problems too. For him, it’s a result of weakness and stiffness in his right foot (from a left-side AVM bleed). He found biking very helpful in making both legs more equal, and he had physical therapy as well. There are exercises you can do at home and at the gym–if you think weakness might be the problem, maybe you can ask your doctor to help you pick out some exercises for the weaker side. His doctor also recommends yoga or tai chi, which is supposed to be good for balance–if you want to try it, I’d make sure to talk with your doctor first.

Jorie

He didn’t try a treadmill, but I would think that it can’t hurt! I guess that’s as long as the doctor OK’s it–you might not want to do anything too vigorous without checking with the doctor. I think biking worked so well because it isn’t really possible to “cheat” by favoring the weak side on a bike.

His epileptologist is always recommending yoga–here’s a link to a page about how it is supposed to help your balance: http://yoga.iloveindia.com/yoga-benefits/balance.html

It’s supposed to be good for your mood, too.

Good luck!

JH said:

He didn’t try a treadmill, but I would think that it can’t hurt! I guess that’s as long as the doctor OK’s it–you might not want to do anything too vigorous without checking with the doctor. I think biking worked so well because it isn’t really possible to “cheat” by favoring the weak side on a bike.

His epileptologist is always recommending yoga–here’s a link to a page about how it is supposed to help your balance: http://yoga.iloveindia.com/yoga-benefits/balance.html

It’s supposed to be good for your mood, too.

Good luck!

If your doctor OKs a stationary bike, you could put a 2lb weight on your weaker leg, to help it develop faster than the other leg. I suppose the same could be done on a treadmill as well.

I was diagnostic with avm 11-28-08, had the craniotomy on 04-11-09…I had balancing problems the first
couple of months but know im better…Like on my case… just for the first couple of months…
Good luck with this…

I had a stroke after 2nd embolization - never had any bleed. After stroke, I was in Rehab for 3 weeks followed by 5 weeks of out patient physical and occupational therapy. Right after stroke, I could not walk without a walker. Now, after 4 1/2 months, I have no problem walking or going up the steps. It took a while, but now I can balance on one leg for up to 30 seconds! I feel that physical therapy is the key - the brain has to relearn these functions. If the stroke was due to brain swelling and also if the brain swells after radiation, I am told that I could have similar problems after my Cyberknife treatment in a few weeks.

Hello Piper,

After any hrs. of phy.therapy,special excercises,approx. 3 yrs. been able to walk, not quite normal, somewhat like your situition. my body balance has been greatly affected, the cane helps me from falling, only used it around public areas. Over the yrs. have tried prayer/meditation, herb/vitamins supplements to aid for strength and preservince. Have research alot and ask a very educated phy. therapist, 3 things came about all this research: Brain game excercises and brain supplement, and just found out FES (functional electronic stimulation). the info. about FES is on this discussions by Stacy Kozlowski, additional info.: ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■. Hang in there, you’ll get better, as mentioned by some AVM survivors, not 100 %. but better then nothing( especially death),
sometimes I feel bad not being able to do the things I used to do, heck, at 40 yrs. of age could keep up with my sons in sports, but only temperely, cause I got a second chance on life.

My prayer for you.

Hi Piper, I never had balance problems until after I had my AVM treated with proton beam therapy. And now I really don’t know how much of it is because of meds. I do know that every day, my right foot and leg feel a tiny bit more numb and less coordinated. I feel like my gate has changed, can’t explain it but the right side just doesn’t move as the left. I’ve started yoga up again to try to retain the balance that I have left, it’s hard because I can’t get my body placement where it should be on the right side. Was your balance off before the embolization or did it start after? I would recommend yoga also as JH did, it’s good all the way around. Just take it slow and focus while you are doing it. I would talk to doc first also. I think walking on a treadmill is good also, but again start slowly. I keep a workout journal, it helps me to not over do it and it’s encouraging too when you can look at it and see improvement in what you’re doing over time. Take care and good luck, things have to get better for all of us. We have to be determined to come out on the other side.

Piper, as others have said I would recommend yoga. I’ve been doing it for a few weeks and I love it, not just for the help with my balance, but for a whole host of reasons. The key again, is make sure you start slow and, this may sound weird, but maybe make sure someone else is in the room with you. I say this because some yoga poses are dependant on balance, so if yours is not great right now, you may fall over. Just don’t want you to hurt yourself, that’s all. And yes, ask a doctor first. I’m about 1 1/2 years post bleed/craini. I still have balance issues, but much improved from where I started. PT helped, but keep at it. Keep up with exercising, that was what helped me get where I am now. I exercise every day, if I don’t I lose a lot of my strength much more quickly. Good luck to you, it will get better, but I agree with others that it will probably never be perfect again.