Bioness L300 home trial program- Any experience?

I realize this post will only be relevant for people who have suffered a bleed or who have otherwise had leg and/or foot weakness. As a result of my AVM bleed, I lost all movement on the left side of my body. I’ve regained about 80% but still have significant foot drop which makes it hard to walk. My Physiotherapist has recommended trying the Bioness L300 system. This is basically a portable e-stim system which helps raise the foot during walking. I’ve used it with good results in my therapy but, as I get ready to go back to work, I’m considering doing Bioness’ 30 day home trial system. My Doctors remain optimistic that I will not need the system long-term. Just wondering if anyone out there has ever used the Bioness L300 through the home trial system and how it worked for you.

I’ve been using the Bioness L300 for over a year. I also have a left foot-drop after having a hemorrhage from a cavernous angioma in my brain-stem. I had the cavernous angioma removed in February 2006 and suffered from hemi-paresis on my left side. I still drag my left foot a little. The BioNess takes away the stress from walking. I was hoping it would retrain my brain and i wouldn’t need it long term, but i am still using it 18 months later.

Thanks Rivky,

Do you think it has improved your foot drop at all? I agree the bioness does make walking easier. But can you wear it all day without just fatiguing the muscles? I’m debating getting the carbon fiber toe-off AFO. Did you ever try that?

Cheers,

Moges

it’s really hard to tell. My foot-drop is not so severe, but it slows me down and makes me stumble. I wear the Bioness all day and it does not wear me out. I’m supposed to remove it every 4 hours to let my skin breathe for 15 minutes, but I don’t always remember. How long do you have yours for? I remember when i first started wearing it, I was so exhausted from a short usage, but within a month, I got used to it.
I never heard of the carbon fiber toe-off AFO. What is it?

Moges Gebremedhin said:

Thanks Rivky,

Do you think it has improved your foot drop at all? I agree the bioness does make walking easier. But can you wear it all day without just fatiguing the muscles? I’m debating getting the carbon fiber toe-off AFO. Did you ever try that?

Cheers,

Moges

Hi Rivky,

I’m still debating going for the bioness. If I get it I will likely rent it for a month or two. The carbon fiber toe-off brace is a brace designed to support dorsaflexion. It does not provide knee support, so normally people with left sided weakness graduate to that since dorsaflexion normally is one of the last things to come back. Here is a link to one http://www.kineticr.com/noodle-ta.html

cheers,

M

Bioness requires a 4 month rental before purchase for this exact reason. you will make a much better decision to buy or not, once you have used it. If you choose to purchase it after the 4 month trial, the money you paid for the rental will be applied to the total price. I looked up the website for the Advanced Carbon Fiber Brace, This may be good support, but a brace will not get your muscles moving and they will atrophy from disuse. Even if the Bioness does not reeducate your brain, it keeps those muscles working.
There is another similar device you can look at http://www.walkaide.com/en-US/Pages/default.aspx
My husband wanted me to get the Bioness. The walkaide works with a tilt sensor and does not have a sensor in the shoe, so he felt that the Bioness was more accurate The walkaide is a little less expensive though. As far as I know, most insurance companies do not cover either.
Good luck with your decision.
Rivky

Moges Gebremedhin said:

Hi Rivky,

I’m still debating going for the bioness. If I get it I will likely rent it for a month or two. The carbon fiber toe-off brace is a brace designed to support dorsaflexion. It does not provide knee support, so normally people with left sided weakness to that since dorsaflexion normally is one of the last things to come back. Here is a link to one http://www.kineticr.com/noodle-ta.html

cheers,

M

I've owned it since 2006. I used it along with taking botox shots in the first year, so i was able to no longer need the botox which for me was wonderful. I found it created slow and steady improvement, so it's been wonderful. In particular, it helps me to avoid having spasms in my calf, esp. in the cold months. So, I love it. I'm going to start using it for 2 weeks then off for 2 weeks, 1-2 hours a day. I do both the training mode and walking mode but often find it easier to do the training mode a couple times a day (20 minutes each) just because I can do it to begin & end the day. It is a very slow and gradual improvement processs, but the part I love is that I don't have to 'think' about walking anymore.

blessings

Hi Sharyn,

thanks for your response. It's encouraging to hear someone say they are getting recovery over such a long period (with or without the bioness). I sent mine back. I found that it often contributed to muscle stiffening. However, it clearly gave me a lot of return which I have been building from since then. I guess one has to be patient about recovery. I'm 10 months away from my stroke and some of the material I read leads me to believe the window on recovery may be closing. I know that is not the case, but it's good to hear this from others as well.

cheers,

Moges

Sharyn Laney said:

I've owned it since 2006. I used it along with taking botox shots in the first year, so i was able to no longer need the botox which for me was wonderful. I found it created slow and steady improvement, so it's been wonderful. In particular, it helps me to avoid having spasms in my calf, esp. in the cold months. So, I love it. I'm going to start using it for 2 weeks then off for 2 weeks, 1-2 hours a day. I do both the training mode and walking mode but often find it easier to do the training mode a couple times a day (20 minutes each) just because I can do it to begin & end the day. It is a very slow and gradual improvement processs, but the part I love is that I don't have to 'think' about walking anymore.

blessings