Bumps to the Head?

I’ve only known one additional lady who has had an AVM and I have many questions for you all; I’m still amazed there are so many of us! Regarding your conditions, were they something hereditary or did any of you suffer a blow to the head? I’m asking for a reason: When I was almost four, I was in a car accident; child safety belt laws were pretty lax back then and I wasn’t properly harnessed. When mom saw that we were going to crash into the side of a mountain, she instructed me to lie down. We were in an older model Buick, one with a huge bump in the floor board; I remember placing my head on top of my closed hands, over the bump and when we impacted the mountain, the impact split my eyebrow. I have an idea that was the start of my bleed; the concussion was on my left brow; consequently, my avm was located in the left frontal region. I’d like to get all of your opinions:)!

Hollie

Yes I was told mine was possibly from a severe concussion I suffered when I was 16 and I am 49. I have seen two one said maybe but one said definitely. Yes it is amazing how many of us tshere are…we need research to help us… I will have to check your profile as I am not familiar wit your story. Any other help just shout out! xoxo Mare

Hi Hollie, as far as I know I did not have any concussion, they said that I was born with it, but have no other relatives with one. hope that helps:)

Mare,

I couldn’t agree more: More research definitely needs to be done to prevent what has happened to so many of us. Wow! See, I had my concussion in 1983, I was only three; back then I guess MRI’s weren’t popular? I’ll have to research. What my family was told was that more-than-likely, mine malformation was inherited; so I’ve been hesitant to have another child; and I would so love to give life:).

Thanks for your input; maybe we can start a movement!

Hollie

Mare said:

Yes I was told mine was possibly from a severe concussion I suffered when I was 16 and I am 49. I have seen two one said maybe but one said definitely. Yes it is amazing how many of us tshere are…we need research to help us… I will have to check your profile as I am not familiar wit your story. Any other help just shout out! xoxo Mare

I don’t mean to pry, but when I was small, my mother used to smack me in the head; I realize how horrible that sounds, but it happened, period. Did you experience any repetitive trauma? Don’t mean to pry, but heck, I feel like part of this family:)!

Jmo said:

Hi Hollie, as far as I know I did not have any concussion, they said that I was born with it, but have no other relatives with one. hope that helps:)

Hi:) not that I remember, they told me that it was like a birth mark, an extra group of abnormal blood vessels, on your page you talk about getting a spacey feeling, I used to get that too:)

So, did you ever have a concussion? See, I’m thinking there are a lot of people born with the malformation but some of us that have experienced trauma to the head have the explosion! I’m just collecting data:).

No, wasn’t aware of it at all until I woke up one morning a few months ago and there it was,
best wishes, Jules:)

My daughter has had a lot of concussions but her doctor assures us that as the bangs to head where never in the place that she had the avm so have no bearing on this. But it was one of the first questions i asked as she has had that many bangs to her head.

I fell off my bike when I was 9 and was unconscious. They did a CAT scan and did not show an dAVM or if it did, they did not notice. The entire right side of my face looked like chop meat. My AVM was in the right frontal lobe. Maybe it’s just a coincidence. The doctors seemed sure that I was born with the AVM. Who knows? But, I am thinking maybe it’s possible that my brain was affected and the veins and arteries healed incorrectly leaving an AVM. But AVMs include a lack of capillaries which seems like something u could be born with. I don’t think capillaries can just disappear. I really have know idea. Everything I’m writing is just an assumption