Can u get an mri following a craniotomy

I have metal clips and metal plates in my head…I have this fear that I will get in a car accident and be unconscious and they will do an mri in the hospital and the metal will rip my skull apart…should i be wearing a medical alert bracelet? I asked my neurosurgeon and he said he’s not sure if I can get an MRI…wtf???

As long as the clips are made of Titanium which is non magnetic, the MRI is safe, surely the neurosurgeon would know this?
I carry a medic alert card with medical info, emergency contacts etc

I was told it would be fine since they are titanium. I agree your Dr should know!

If any of your “hardware” is not titanium, you probably can’t have an MRI. You would need to find out from your surgeon what they used.

Chari has a TI aneurysm clip and following a routine MRI 2 yrs later, the person reading the MRI saw the clip (guess it was not noted in the charts)–he called an hour later and spoke with her 15 minutes, wanting to make sure she was OK and that the MRI didn’t move the clip. Chari convinced him it was TI, so no problem.

Ron, KS

My dr. seemed sure the plates in my skull were titanium but he seemed unsure about the clips they put on the remaining bllod vessels after removing the avm…idk…my neurosurgeon is horrible!!! I am so frustrated…he answers no questions!!

Ron, KS said:

If any of your “hardware” is not titanium, you probably can’t have an MRI. You would need to find out from your surgeon what they used.

Chari has a TI aneurysm clip and following a routine MRI 2 yrs later, the person reading the MRI saw the clip (guess it was not noted in the charts)–he called an hour later and spoke with her 15 minutes, wanting to make sure she was OK and that the MRI didn’t move the clip. Chari convinced him it was TI, so no problem.

Ron, KS

You tell him you need to know ASAP.

Daniel A Sadler said:

You tell him you need to know ASAP.

I’ve got titanium in my head too and have had an MRI after the op. |My head didn’t explode. B4 hand my surgeon wasn’t sure wot the clips were made of as they weren’t in my file!

I have 3 bolts and one small plate in my skull and have had numerous MRIs since I got them. Based on what I have been told by my neurosurgeon and a couple of MRI techs, it is pretty uncommon for any ferrous metals to be used inside the body these days. Most items are now titanium, gold, platinum or some type of ceramic composite, none of which will interfere with an MRI.

That being said, it seems like they should either have some type of metal detector for people to pass through before entering the room to have an MRI. They do it at airports and inner-city schools, how hard can it be to do it at a hospital?

It is a very valid problem. I had “glue” instead of te metal clips, but they still insist on an xray every time before an MRI…