Chronic Pain

When I had my craniotomy I also had to have my neck cut open because of how much blood was at the base of my scull. Is there anyone else out there that has had anything similar? I have chronic neck pain that the doctors think is perminant due to nerve damage and have been on a slew of pain meds and muscle relaxers for two years now. I’m thinking of trying the shots on the scar tissue my doctor recomended but that sounds painfull and may not solve anything. Anyone with some feedback?

Hi NBuddle,
I have thalamic pain (also known as Central Nerve Pain, etc.) 24/7 from my thalamic bleed (deep in the brain) & surgery. Have tried Lyrica, Neurontin, Amitriptyline, Baclofen & even acupuncture w/no relief.
My NS office has suggested the possiblilities of meeting w/one of their Functional NS http://neurosurgery.stanford.edu/patient_care/functional.html to discuss symptoms, treatment of pain, etc. but am not in the frame of mind (no pun intended!:wink: for this route @ the present time, yet remain open as a future option???
Chronic pain is new to me and I realize how EXHAUSTING and difficult it can be! And some days are more tolerable than others.
Just hang in there w/it and keep seeking resources for relief. :slight_smile:
Take care,
Patti

Thanks so much for giving me some advice. I actually have a lot of problems with pain in my neck to from the avm. I’ve also been on lots of pain meds, muscle relaxers, and anti-inflammatorys. I have just recently been feeling much better. Ive had a few radiofrequencys on my nerves on my neck. I found that definitely helped. I’ve also had occipital nerve blocks at the base of my head just before my neck starts. That helped numb the pain, but it didn’t last as long as the doctor hoped. About 3 weeks ago I got 42 injections of botox in my face, head, neck, and even my shoulders. I got the injections where ever the pain was and now it’s 3 weeks later and I’m off my pain meds and a lot of my other meds. I’ve been in bed for 6 years in so much pain I couldn’t move. I think you should definitely try the radiofrequency on ur C-2 nerve and down. Then try botox it seriously changed my life. If u want anymore info let me know. I

Hi, ErinMichele. Thanks for the info. I’ve never heard of radiofrequency used for nerve pain. If you do have anymore info onthe subject I’d be interested. Anything at this point. I work a very physical job and am not allowed any pain med at work so an actual solution would be great.

ErinMichele said:

Thanks so much for giving me some advice. I actually have a lot of problems with pain in my neck to from the avm. I’ve also been on lots of pain meds, muscle relaxers, and anti-inflammatorys. I have just recently been feeling much better. Ive had a few radiofrequencys on my nerves on my neck. I found that definitely helped. I’ve also had occipital nerve blocks at the base of my head just before my neck starts. That helped numb the pain, but it didn’t last as long as the doctor hoped. About 3 weeks ago I got 42 injections of botox in my face, head, neck, and even my shoulders. I got the injections where ever the pain was and now it’s 3 weeks later and I’m off my pain meds and a lot of my other meds. I’ve been in bed for 6 years in so much pain I couldn’t move. I think you should definitely try the radiofrequency on ur C-2 nerve and down. Then try botox it seriously changed my life. If u want anymore info let me know. I

Thanks Patti. I’ve tried neurontin too but it just made my panic attacks worse. Too bad because it worked pretty well for me. Hang in there with the pain. If i find anything that works I’ll let you know.

Patti G said:

Hi NBuddle,
I have thalamic pain (also known as Central Nerve Pain, etc.) 24/7 from my thalamic bleed (deep in the brain) & surgery. Have tried Lyrica, Neurontin, Amitriptyline, Baclofen & even acupuncture w/no relief.
My NS office has suggested the possiblilities of meeting w/one of their Functional NS http://neurosurgery.stanford.edu/patient_care/functional.html to discuss symptoms, treatment of pain, etc. but am not in the frame of mind (no pun intended!:wink: for this route @ the present time, yet remain open as a future option???
Chronic pain is new to me and I realize how EXHAUSTING and difficult it can be! And some days are more tolerable than others.
Just hang in there w/it and keep seeking resources for relief. :slight_smile:
Take care,
Patti