Cyberknife or gamma knife?

just wondering if anyone knows which treatment is most effective in obliterating an avm that is located in the deep portion of the brain? i know cyberknife you just wear a mask and the gamma knife requires you to have the painful halo screwed into your skull.

ive never heard of cyberknife…my neurosurgeon didnt even tell me about it…

I didn’t think the halo was painful after the anesthesia kicked in. Plus it’s a more tried-and-tested surgery technique than cyber knife. As far as effective, maybe a neutral neurosurgeon can answer that.

Me again…don’t want to get your hopes up…but Ashley had 4 fractions(or treatments) with the cyber-knife around Memorial Day this year…we went in on 8/19 for her first post MRI and the blood flow to the avm is already greatly reduced…we didnt expect any tangible results for up to a year…so we were very heartened…Ashley’s avm is located in her left temporal lobe and is about 4cm…again any questions i will answer as best as i can! Hang in there…this is a great site for info sharing…no dr. bias’ or egos to deal with…just straight answers from everyone’s real life experiences!

Hi- i had the halo- it was uncomfortable but I think they gave me enough valium that I didn’t really care.
Been good results so far. My AVM is deep on the brainstem.

I thought that the ahlo was actually very painful, I had to have double anesthisia because of the pain
i also had massive headachs for two days after but idk if that was from the halo or radiation…

I did the gamma knife my avm was in a deep part of my brain. I had side effects but that was because it was in that deep area of the brain that surgery could get to but with more side effects. I did the gamma knife procedure here in san antonio my neurosurgeon was great he has retired but only now does gamma knife procedures…

When did you have this? I had gamma knife in May '08. My 6 month MRI showed a 25% reduction in the size of the AVM. You mentioned that your results have been good so far - can you be more specific? Oh, and the halo was miserable for me! It was the most painful and creepy experience of my life. I didn’t think I was going to make it through the MRI, CT scan and the angiogram that they had to do prior to the actual gamma knife procedure. It was so painful having to lie flat with my head basically resting on the screws going into my skull. ICK! I still get creeped out thinking about it! LOL. The pinpoints in my forehead are still visible - will that be permanent? Anyway - hope to hear more from you. Christine W.

Brian said:

Hi- i had the halo- it was uncomfortable but I think they gave me enough valium that I didn’t really care.

Christine W said:

When did you have this? I had gamma knife in May '08. My 6 month MRI showed a 25% reduction in the size of the AVM. You mentioned that your results have been good so far - can you be more specific? Oh, and the halo was miserable for me! It was the most painful and creepy experience of my life. I didn’t think I was going to make it through the MRI, CT scan and the angiogram that they had to do prior to the actual gamma knife procedure. It was so painful having to lie flat with my head basically resting on the screws going into my skull. ICK! I still get creeped out thinking about it! LOL. The pinpoints in my forehead are still visible - will that be permanent? Anyway - hope to hear more from you. Christine W.

Brian said:

Christine, I forget, how long ago was ur gamma? my pin sites are completely invisible, i could not tell u where they were without looking at a picture from the days after it. id say mine have been gone for at least the past 5 months and im 10 months postop

I had Cyberknife . I could not have done Gama the halo was to scary for me . I went in one day to be fitted with mask a week later I got my treatment . It took 2 hours then I left . We took a 3 hour ride to the ocean . The only thing was for a week or two I was very lazy . Since then I have not had any problems, except short term memory and mixing words or not being able to come up with the word . I don’t know if it’s AVM or treatment .

I’ve never had Gamma Knife or Cyber Knife, though I did have a halo placed for my craniotomy. Aside from waking after the surgery and having a couple of staples in my forehead and two small bandages underneath the gause wrapped around my head, I wouldn’t have even realized anything had happeed. Of course, the sedation for a craniotomy is much deeper than for a Gamma/Cyber Knife treatment, but I have a feeling that they’ll have you doped-up enough that even if the local anesthetic was not quite strong enough, you still probably could care less! Part of the purpose behind the medications that they give prior to placing the halo is so you don’t get nervous, panic and start thrashing around.

Christine, your doctors should have given you better pain killers! I didn't feel my halo until about 7 hours after they screwed it on. It is painful to lie on the screws, but I should have asked for more pain killers at that point.

One of my pinpoints was bloodier than the other, and I have a small scar from it. But it's barely noticeable. The other pinpoint isn't visible at all. I'm 6 months post-op.

I had the cyberknife in 2010. I've been having increasingly painful symptoms recently and have been told it's due to the avm possibly shrinking. I went in for my 2 year check last July and am due to go back in a few months. It had started to shrink....but even then I think my neuro was a bit disappointed that it hadn't shrunk more. Praying for good results on my next visit. When I say painful symptoms I mean headaches, shooting pain down my spine, neck pain, pain/pressure on my tailbone etc. Maybe it's stress too... I wish you the best

I've had Gamma Knife 3 times (6 months apart). For me, the worst parts were the lidocaine shots prior to attaching the halo and the removal of the halo (since the lidocaine & pain killers had worn off by then).

My 3rd treatment was almost a year ago. A couple of the pins sites are still slightly visible, but are mostly going away.

Cyberknife is what I had because mine is above brainstem
by the midbrain. Cyber uses lots of little beams and the
machine can move to shoot it at a couple different angles
to prevent “sprayoff” of critical areas around the target.
Gamma doesnt move so it just shoots the one target.
This was the info I was told last year. Now, sorry to say,
you still do get 4 little screws in your head when they attach
the thing to your head but it really wasnt all that bad.
BE SURE YOU ARE GOING TO A DOCTOR THAT IS KEEPING UP TO DATE
WITH THE CURRENT STUDIES OF WHO SHOULD BE TREATED AND WHEN
THE BEST OPTIONS MIGHT BE TO JUST TREAT THE SYMTOMS. Good luck!