Depression...Is it just because we have an AVM?

I talk to “normal” people, those who don’t have an AVM issue and am told that their depression is due to the season…we’ve had 3 times the normal snow this year and financial difficulty. My feeling is that my depression has three issues going at one time, my brain injury, seasonal and financial. I pray for peace and serenity every day…I meditate every single day and today I’ve decided to add believing that the AA “One day at a Time” will help. I’m already on an anti-depression med, therefore, the only excuse I can think of is that I have 3 issues (brain injury, seasonal and financial) wrapped into one. Does anyone else feel this way? If so, all we can do is keep the faith…

Our experience with depression (whole family really) was the when one of your family gets an AVM or other potentially life ending, and at least life altering condition, it makes us face our mortality. That's heavy for anyone.

Our two kids attended counseling with us and individually to address our concerns. We had a great Christian counselor, and he helped us all get on a better path.

I firmly believe you are never "cured" from depression, you are just able to manage it better. I also believe depression runs in families.

Hope this helps.

Ron, KS

Louisa, the tone in ur post doesn't seem as if ur depressed at all!:) I think u are very brave and intuitive to understand possible reasons or "excuses" for feeling down. To me, ur rationalization IS 'normal' and healthy at the same time! I am familar with the "one day at a time" motto, and can appreciate that outlook on life:) Financial difficulties come and go, just like the seasons.....some times worse than others. Our avms are just something we were born with, and can be fixed sometimes!:) Other times, people go there entire lives without even knowing about them. Our avms don't define who we are, but I realize they can limit some more than others. Along the lines of ur previous motto, I do believe it is important to believe in that HIGHER POWER.....b/c HE/SHE knew we had our avms long before anyone else!:) I think u are truly one of the 'normal' ones, and should realize that everything happens for a reason. God has a PLAN:) Keep strong, u have a friend in everyone here!:) -GK

I agree with that. Except, I like the snow. It helps me to appreciate spring and summer more. lol This is one of the few winters I was hoping it would snow. At least then I have something to do - snow blow the driveway. But boy! My body sure doesn’t like it. The cold weather effects my muscles and bones any more. I’m going to have have a talk with old man winter!!

Quote:
“May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly
where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite
possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you
use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has
been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you
are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul
the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and
every one of us.”

Hi Louisa,

Where is that quote from, or did you just make it up? It is great words for all of us to live by every day.

Thank you for posting it. Our daughter is flying to 2 cities today to interview for a new job, and she has some trouble deciding what she should do. These words will help here today--I've already sent them to her.

Ron, KS

Louisa Cicillini said:

Quote:
"May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly
every one of us."

Ron, I got an email from my sister to send the quote on to other people…I wish your Daughter the best!

Ron, KS said:

Hi Louisa,

Where is that quote from, or did you just make it up? It is great words for all of us to live by every day.

Thank you for posting it. Our daughter is flying to 2 cities today to interview for a new job, and she has some trouble deciding what she should do. These words will help here today--I've already sent them to her.

Ron, KS

Louisa Cicillini said:

Quote:
"May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly
every one of us."

"Normal" that is a funny word - I really don't think their is no normal, we all have some type of issue going on. All we can do is do the best we can for that day. When things get really bad for me I try not to think to far ahead, it really helps. I also set a small goal for that day only. Like saying or do something nice for someone, bake cookies, clean out a closet or just make a phone call to a friend and let them talk about them not me.

I feel for you guys on the east coast - to much snow. Take your meds, and give them time to work, talk to the Doc if they are not working after 3 to 4 months.

As far as money - even people with money are not happy all the time. You may want to ask a friend that is good with money what you can do or call a gov. agency.

Wishing you hugs and peace of mind today and everyday :) Sue

Beautiful, thank you! That is just what I needed today!

Louisa,
Love the quote!
I googled it & supposedly it's a quote from Mother Teresa?

Hi Louisa...same here. When I speak to "normal" people, they tell me that their depression is seasonal. Yet, I do have some longtime friends who battle depression daily, and sometimes need motivation to do things such as homework, housework, etc.

I've struggled with depression well before my AVM Rupture. It was at it's worst when my mother had disappeared about nineteen years ago and after my AVM Rupture and Surgery. I still battle it, but I word hard to try to manage it. Dabbling in art has helped, along with praying. Volunteering in my community also helps, because I know that when I focus on someone else, I forget about myself. Also surrounding myself with positive people helps.

Hi Louisa - I’m sooo glad that you put normal in quotes b/c I’m PMSing, and my feeling toward the word normal is something close to hell-fire.

I definitely think that we all can have multiple causes for depression…sunshine or lacthereof strongly affects me.

Regarding debt, money, or any material-item for that matter, I’m accepting the fact that those things come and go, and I don’t have time to waste on those things that are temporary, anyway; of course, it’s pretty important to have SOME money to pay for basics like food, water, shelter, etc.

In general, to get back to your question, I believe that many things can contribute to depression, and that there are many different ways to improve one’s mood (besides chocolate :), including medicine, exercise, certain foods, certain light, certain vitamins and herbs, etc.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the quote. Weezie my friend..there is no such thing as "normal" and you know it! I think depression is just one of the fun little side effects of having damaged brains. Like I've told you before: what happened to us sucks! It just does. There's sometimes plenty of reason to be depressed. The trick is to find the many more reason to be happy! Like your daughter, your granddaughter, your soon to be grandsons, and ME!! I love you Granny Pants and I'm just a phone call away if you need me!

I was diagnosed with clinical depression in 7th grade, then bipolar disorder in 10th, but now that I had surgery to remove AVMs that were in my left frontal lobe, everyone is under the assumption that I never had bipolar disorder, and that everything was just being caused by the AVM pushing into my emotional centers.

And they seem to not want to take my emotional issues seriously now, since the "cause" has been removed...