Did anyone here opt out of surgery?

I’m wondering if I really need surgery, I’m not denying I have an AVM.
I am 50 years old as of 2-19-09. I know it’s said if they bleed once you should have something done. I read they usually bleed about 10-45. I’m wondering if it will happen again in my lifetime. I know I have to see my doctor again but I’m waiting for insurance so I can’t ask him these questions until I see him again. I had a bleed, I was told that I have an AVM. I not sure I would have had a stroke if these other two factors weren’t at play. I have high blood pressure and I was on a water pill, diuretics are known to cause strokes. I am also perimenopausal which cause me to be anemic, anemia is known to make the blood rush. My potassium was low when I was in the hospital, I was given potassium. It was a little low when I received the information from the physical I had a couple of months before the stroke, it was 3.4, not to bad, but low potassium has been seen in strokes as well.
I feel like I have other reasons that may have caused the AVM to bleed that are being ignored. I’ll repeat them, diuretic use(due to high blood pressure), low potassium, and anemia(due to lose of blood from my menstrual)
If anyone has any experience or understanding about these issues, please let me know.
Peace,
Ameenah

Ameenah…The one thing that is not good is the high blood pressure !.. When I first started out with this AVM thing I was told not to get mt blood pressure up. Also the chance of a bleed goes up at 50 ,that is what worries me the most because I will be 50 in August .

Hi Pauline,
I know everything that you read on the internet may not be true, but I have read in many places that it is more uncommon, not unheard of though, to see a bleed for the first time in an older person. Some say over 45, most say over 55. I’m going to investigate that a little more. I’ll let you know what I find. If I really think about it, the stroke on 12-12-09 was probably not my first bleed. I believe that I was misdiagnosed several times before that. When I had the stroke my blood pressure was normal, I was taking the water pill at the time for hypertension. I know prior to the stroke I had a lot of signs that I now know were letting me know something was about to happen. For instance, I had a lot of pain in my ear when I swallowed as well as headaches that forced me to go to bed, I now read that the pain in the ear could have been the brain giving me a seizure, I don’t really know because I still have a little pain, not as bad and not as often since the stroke, but it is the same places as before the stroke. I’m not sure if the pain is seizures or from nerve damage because of the stroke.

Peace,
Ameenah

Just wanted to bring this back to the top to make sure it is seen.

Peace,
Ameenah

I see my doctor on March 11, 2009, I’m just bringing this to the top again so it can be seen.

I hope someone else responds to this forum before I see the doctor.

Peace,
Ameenah

Ameenah I hope you get messages to help with your questions

Hi, Pauline

I hope so too, but if I don’t get anymore messages, I’ll just have to talk with doctor.
If people don’t respond I’m going to assume, no one here has ever decided against surgery
once the doctor told them they could have surgery. Not sure about that though.
As you have read, I have tons of questions for the doctor.

Peace,
Amenah

If your doctor is saying they can do surgery then I would def. go for it especially if you have already had a hemmoraghe or a stroke. So many people here can’t even have surgery because their avm’s can’t be operated on. If your doc says you can have the surgery then I would say do it. I had to have 2 and I had more than one hemmoraghe and I’m so glad I had the surgeries and I am now avm free! If your doc feels comfortable with doing the surgery then do it. As long as they know about your other health concerns.

Thanks Brittany, I see the doctor on March 11, 2009. I don’t like being cut on, I will do it if I have to, but I’m just wondering if he can do something less invasive, I’ll find out for sure when I see him. I have read some conflicting information, some things say operate if it bleeds and some say if it stops leave it alone.
I’ll get all the details 3-11-09 and I’ll be sure to let every know what he said.

Peace,
Ameenah

Ameenah.
Just try not to panic while you are waiting to find things out. I have to say that no matter how hard both of my brain surgeries were I feel like they were worth it. I will never have to worry about another hemmoraghe again. and that is a pretty good feeling. :slight_smile: Good luck

Okay Brittany, I will try not to panic, you know that’s what I have been doing.LOL
Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Peace,
Ameenah