Did you all think is a common procedure to do an angiogram right after surgery

just asking if anybody know because i have to do it again.

I don’t think it is uncommon to have one done. Some might have you wait 1-2 yrs.

Our DR’s RN told me the angiogram is the gold standard for knowing if the AVM is gone or not.

Ron, KS

My husband had another agram about three days after his crani. This did show a small amount of “something” they thought it was just swelling or blood from the surgery but it could have been a bit they missed of the avm. He had to go back in six months for another a gram which thankfully was clear and deemed avm FREE the most precious words we had heard in those six months. Best of luck to you and many blessings! Marie & Steve

Michael, my daughter just had surgery in July. Doctors did an intraoperative angio and a postoperative angio. Intraoperative is done with the halo still attached to the head and can be limiting in the angles and depth available. Postoperative is done without the halo, so it should be more reliable since doctors can get all the angles they want.

I had one before and after. I am scheduled for another at the 6 month mark also. I believe it’s the most accurate so though more complicated I’d prefer it.

HI!
I also had one before surgery and after surgery!. and a few of MRIs and MRAs. I guest they were trying to see where the avm was and after that swelling or if something was left out.

My Sadie has had seven angiograms and as a normal person seeing the difference in the blood flow from treatment to treatment is incredible and I think it gives the treating doctors an amazing amount of information as to how the AVM is effecting the rest of the brain. After Sadie had the second craniotomy they immediately did an angio to make sure there was no longer any blood flow or AVM left. We were really dissapointed that there was still a small amount left that would need to be treated with radiation. That small amount did not show up on the MRI so yes I do think to be 100% sure that it is gone an angiogram is necessary.

Yes I do think its pretty common. I still have them preiotically for follow ups, but stopped after my last one 3 years ago.

I had an angio after my crNI TOO:::JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERYTHINGS OUT AND ALL IS OK::::I HAD IT A WEEK AFTER SURGERY:::AND ALL WAS OUT AND GOOD:::::::

So happy for you Manux!!! Must have felt nice to update your profile with that update :))!!! I can’t wait for that day too!

thx…yes it really touvhed me to change the “active” into “obliterated”…i cried a lot…

Hi my son had one done immediately after his embolisation, then another one 2 months later. Will also have more in the future

My son had his craniotomy on 10/28/11 and he is having an diagnostic angio on 10/31/11 we were told by our nuero this is very common and this will solidify that the AVM is gone completely and that other vessels were not affected from the craniotomy