Exercise limitations and AVM

Hi, I have an AVM on my left scalp, ear and in the parotid gland. I had embolization and surgery 2 years ago and was hoping the AVM was gone for good–but it wasn’t. I was told about that time that I could not go scuba diving (since I live in Iowa, that was not much of a sacrifice to forgo) and I could not fly in a small non-pressurized airplane. I like to exercise and have noticed when I get my heart rate up there, the left side of my head starts to hurt where the surgery was and where the AVM is back again. Have any of you been told specifically by your doctors exactly what you can do and what you shouldn’t do? Kim

Kimberly It sounds to me like the doctors feel there is a problem in your ability to equaliz your air passages with the change in ambient pressure that would be required in both of these activities . I would say that some changes were made to your eustachian tube or your ear drums during your Avm treatment to make them feel that way. And as far as you scuba dive their are a lot of variable that would make this a no no for one increase oxgen exposures. And yes I was told to stop scuba diving, sell my 4 wheel ,and my Harley. Oh well I can still change air into Carbon dioxide. Oh and as far as the heart beat go back to the Mayo and see Dr. Lanzino Other then that have a nice life lol cya Gordon

I have one on the brain, but no restrictions have ever been suggested. Going in for another embolization this morning. Fun fun.

Dewdo from the other Washington

Hey, Im saying a prayer for you that your enmbolization goes well. Thanks for your reply. Let me know how you’re doing. Kim

Dewey M Reynolds said:

I have one on the brain, but no restrictions have ever been suggested. Going in for another embolization this morning. Fun fun.

Dewdo from the other Washington

I had no restrictions once the follow-up cerebral angiogram was good. What I do know is that I have migraine issues now and have learned that intense exercise does cause migraines in some migraineurs. In addition, if I exercise too hard, I’ll get a migraine within a few hours post workout. So, for me, I build my cardio up a lot more slowly and incrementally than pre-AVM removal. I do think the more you listen to your body, the happier it’ll be. exercise is so wonderful for you, I think the key is to build up more slowly and less instensely than you might be used to. I’m a lifetime healthy person, so I found this VERY different than what I’m used to (and a little less fun truthfully), but my brain is happy when I don’t overdo it). It’s a bit similar to how asmtha people have to do it. My neuro said he’s had people tell him intense exercise is a common migraine trigger, but moderate cardio is fantastic for the brain and overall health (also be very hydrated while exercising, that’s a huge help too).

Good luck!