Fatigue

How do people manage fatigue? Are you aware of your symptoms, and if so, what are they? i had an avm and still get tired and have mood swings. Is this familiar?

thanks

My son gets tired all the time. I understand that this is normal. I have heard it is part of the healing process. He also has mood swings. This can be controlled with medication. I dont have a lot of knowledge about avm’s. It touched my family about 16 months ago and I am still learning.

My husband had his surgery almost a year ago, and he gets tired very easily. He tried going
back to work, but it was way too much. Effexor helps the mood swings.

I am also very tired not sure if its the avm or the seizure meds or both combined, but it sucks. I struggle to get out of bed. Rather i have slept 3 hours or 12. I also have mood swings and am on no meds for it but i might look into some. Didn’t realize there was anything for them. Good luck

It’s definitely familiar! I have learned to overcome the mood swings, but the fatigue kills me sometimes! I had returned to school after my AVM, but I needed much more sleep than any other high school student! It kind of effected my social life. But I just learned to deal with it. In college, I didn’t force myself to stay awake and slept extra when I needed it. Now, as an adult in the work force, I am still often tired. I count down to weekends sometimes! But having 2 jobs (instead of THREE) has helped me tremendously! Just take it one day at a time! Don’t force yourself to do things, make sure you are rested… Sometimes, just laying with my eyes closed while listening to music helped me rest (or at least convince myself I was rested!)… Don’t plan too many activities. Make sure you have plenty of down-time and time to rest and relax. Wee need it more than the others!!!

Tiffany is right AVM survivors do need more rest an even than it may not help. My husband being the survivor. his AVM 1980. We have been married 18 years. this first 13 yrs. he was taking dilantin , he would come home after 8 hours of work and lay in the chair and sleep. after his Dr. retired , his new Dr. switched him over to Keppra , he likes it because he has more energy which I did see him gain more of his energy. but there are a lot of side effects with Keppra some being meanness , sueisidle thoughts, ect.

Mark has several of these there’s like 15 -20 side affects.

the last 4 to 5 years depending how hard he pushes his self determines how wore out he is. I’m not sure, I am only going by what I have seen through my husband and what I have been told by family members. my opinion is that the tiredness is part of medication and the cutting into the brain. that he will not gain anymore energy than what he has, if anything he will get worse.

which the last 5 years I do see a large difference in him with energy, cognitive, understanding conversations ect.

He finally after 32 years of work. was forced to get disability. I feel his quality of life with not working is better. the energy he does have can go towards the things that he enjoys, enjoy his son , family.

The Lord has been good to him.
Tina

I certainly would not suggest keppra. It is in my opinion the worst medication out there. I would not give my son keppra again under no circumstances. I know everybody is different but we got some pretty bad side affects. From downright mean to multiple seizures.

Tina said:

Tiffany is right AVM survivors do need more rest an even than it may not help. My husband being the survivor. his AVM 1980. We have been married 18 years. this first 13 yrs. he was taking dilantin , he would come home after 8 hours of work and lay in the chair and sleep. after his Dr. retired , his new Dr. switched him over to Keppra , he likes it because he has more energy which I did see him gain more of his energy. but there are a lot of side effects with Keppra some being meanness , sueisidle thoughts, ect.

Mark has several of these there’s like 15 -20 side affects.

the last 4 to 5 years depending how hard he pushes his self determines how wore out he is. I’m not sure, I am only going by what I have seen through my husband and what I have been told by family members. my opinion is that the tiredness is part of medication and the cutting into the brain. that he will not gain anymore energy than what he has, if anything he will get worse.

which the last 5 years I do see a large difference in him with energy, cognitive, understanding conversations ect.

He finally after 32 years of work. was forced to get disability. I feel his quality of life with not working is better. the energy he does have can go towards the things that he enjoys, enjoy his son , family.

The Lord has been good to him.
Tina

Hi flower::)) I do my best to make sure and take a nap every day. Fatigue is a real problem for me, especially after doing chores around the house. I also have a crazy sleeping pattern. Studies are pretty clear it is a prob for folks especially that have had strokes. Know when to rest…

I’ve noticed that since my bleed I sleep more. Before it four hours of sleep was a good nights sleep, and now, four hours of sleep means I’m staying home from school to avoid a massive headache. I’ve noticed mood swings as well, but for me it was right before my bleed, and I’ve been getting them again.

The main thing I have noticed that I don’t force myself to keep doing something when I’m tired, when I get tired I just rest for awhile, when I don’t I get migraines.

Evett, thank you for your comment, I’m glad I am not alone on this bad man made drug. Before my mvm, I worked my business 10-12 hrs. daily, after work, 2-3 hrs. on the garden or hobby(old trks. into custom trks.). The garden/hobby were my favorites because they released stress. Excessive stress causes fatique, and unbalanced diet,low on some vitamins and minerals also cause fatique and depression. After my mvm, which caused a tremdous Phy. and Mental damage, did not have the ability to say no, to the docs. that prescribed man made drugs, remember a little feeling of walking around like a sombie. After 3 yrs. one of my sons, ( kind of force me to take some herbs, for memory and mood problems). I’m much better, not a 100%, but a hell of alot better, I don’t lay around thinking of killing people and my self, SO, yes I strongly feel that drugs that current docs. prescribe are NO good, there are tons of alternative medicine/theropies out there! also many educated docs.- the ones that I look up to: Drs.,Mercola,Whitaker and Criag, they really care about us, NOT the money! To: Flower, I’m not a doc. but I recommend you do research for alternative cures, it worked for me and others, Have a healthy good luck!

Fatigue is common and a result of lack off oxygen to the brain tissue, especially under stress, when blood pressure is likely to rise, physical as well as emotional stress. The AVM tend to “steal” all the blood to the brain due to the lack of capillaries. Typical symptoms are headache, fatigue, numbness, muscle cramps, seizure and also depression, mood swings or any other neurological symptoms (depending on where your AVM is located).
The best way to manage fatigue is therefore to listen to the body and try to avoid any reason for stress, be it emotional or physical, easier said than done, but possible to a certain extent. Also plenty of sleep, breakfast before coffee etc helps :slight_smile:
Another reason to fatigue is of course side effect from medicine!

Thanks for your reply. Has your husband reduced his working hours or is he trying another route?

I have been experiencing fatigue a lot in the past couple of months… but I have not had any treatments yet … it was interesting to read Hanne’s response… that makes more sense to me now… I’m typically a pretty active person… but over the past few months I do really well just to motivate myself to get ready for work… stress is always present on my job and my concerns over everything else has definately added to the stress levels… mood swings are very common for me right now too… gee I hope these symptoms are not escalated after my surgery… but so thankful to have all this knowledge today!! I used to walk a lot to relieve the stress… I’ve been scared to lately… but it definitely helps!

Its been 2 yrs plus since I had my surgery and I still gets tired!! This few weeks I cant sleep well, I get thirsty alot, wake alot at night!! Feets tingling sensation! …going for a check tomoro to see if its diabetic or not!! Cos I read diabetic symptoms are these!! And I hav mood swings weee…but its better now than before!!

My boyfriend and best friend for 3 1/2 years died three weeks ago from his AVM rupturing. I am so confused and have so many questions. He was diagnosed after a car accident in the early 80’s. Surgeons then determined that if he had surgery, it would leave him paralyzed or he may not have made it through. The AVM was something he didn’t want to talk about. I knew him very intimately and know that in the time I knew him, he did not go for a recheck. The six months before the AVM ruptured, he was extremely fatigued, depressed, had high anxiety and just wasn’t himself. About three weeks before it ruptured, he was very much to himself, told me he loved me a lot, wanted to just hold me and the week before he told me something was wrong but couldn’t pinpoint what it was? I am wondering if he sensed it was his AVM? Right before he went unconscience, he said I hope my AVM didn’t rupture. Could the symptoms he was experiencing be caused by the AVM. I miss him every day and just need answers to move forward.

Flower, did you find a good way to combat the fatigue?

Hi yes and no! No cos I’m too stubborn.
Yes - I’ve accepted that I won’t be having children. They’d knacker me out and the house and garden would go mouldy, overgrown and collapse. Must learn to rest more, but it’s reassuring to know that you guys are out there understand and can give good advice when I forget…

best wishes
flower
x>

fatigue and mood swings, its like a roller coaster and im always my own worst enemy. my moods got so bad 6 weeks ago i tore up our family home & got out a kitchen knife wanting it all to end so was gonna do my wrists, i then collapsed to the floor,exhausted, sobbing from the depths within, scary for my step son and wife, i thought there was no hope for me, i now see a psychologist weekly who helps me so much. i use relaxation techniques and whats called OTSAR, On The Spot Arousel Reduction. i step back from the situation, take 5-6 breaths and plan in my head how i need to react to a situation without losing it. it comes naturally now and our home is now abetter and safer(lol) place to live. persistance is key. i would also say that fatigue levels play a major role in your emotional state, so dont over do it!

its been over 3 years since my rupture/operation and i still never have the energy i use to.

My husband John, had embolization 4 1/2 years ago for an AVM. He still gets exhausted & sleeps alot. My daughters are married & live away from home, they think I don't push him enough.
Anyone have the same problem?
Thank You
Joyce