Follow ups after gamma

My neurosurgeon who did my gamma told me to follow up with an MRI in a year. I’m not actually seeing a neurologist or anything. Is this typical?

I went last month after 6 months last month and then I go again in a year…

Hi Marilyn, yours sounds like mine, I had radiosurgery, gamma, in January of this year and I ge my first mri in January of 2009, It seems to be rite, I do hear different stories, some go sooner. Caroline…:slight_smile:

Not sure if it’s typical, but I’ve had an MRI and follow-up with my neurosurgeon every 3 months (for the past year). On top of that, I’ve seen a neurologist whose office is 10 minutes away just to have someone local.

Looks like I’m on on the impatient side though.

Ben

yes it is very typical. What can they do in the meantime?

or the well insured side;)

I had gamma knife in May and my first follow-up MRI in December. I will have another MRI and a CT angiogram in May. Prior to the gamma he mentioned that after the procedure I would be monitored every 3 - 6 months. I’m not sure what made him decide to check me at 6 month intervals as opposed to 3 month but I think it would have driven my family crazy if they had to wait an entire year for me to have my first follow up MRI.
Oh, and I do not have a neurologist that I see either. I work closely with my primary care doctor who prescribes pain medication for my headaches and my Neurosurgeon has told me to call him any time if I have any questions or concerns.
Christine W.

Yes, for me it has been yearly- that was for the radiologist/surgeon who actually did the Gamma. My neuro sees me about every 6 months.

Christine- your’s might be different, but my “family” doctor was pretty clueless about the avm. I’m not being critical, its just not his specialty. Personally, I’d feel more comfortable seeing a neuro at least every 6 months.

Christine W said:

I had gamma knife in May and my first follow-up MRI in December. I will have another MRI and a CT angiogram in May. Prior to the gamma he mentioned that after the procedure I would be monitored every 3 - 6 months. I’m not sure what made him decide to check me at 6 month intervals as opposed to 3 month but I think it would have driven my family crazy if they had to wait an entire year for me to have my first follow up MRI.
Oh, and I do not have a neurologist that I see either. I work closely with my primary care doctor who prescribes pain medication for my headaches and my Neurosurgeon has told me to call him any time if I have any questions or concerns.

Christine W.

i had an mri/appt at 3 months, will have another one in march at 1 yr, i wont have an angio til 2 yrs but id rather just have one in march again and not wait so long

Hi, I had an MRI at 3 month because of cognitive issues following treatment and another at 8 month, The 1st showed minor improvement and second moderate. Just realized age of post, hope thie of value to other readers. Hope all went well.

I had an appointment with my neurosurgeon two weeks after gamma knife, but that was so he could tell me I also had an aneurysm & needed a craniotomy to clip the aneurysm.

At first, I had an MRI every 6 months because I had to have gamma knife 3 times (every 6 months). After the third treatment, I went once a year for 2 years, then had a 4th treatment. Since then (2 years ago), I've gone back once a year. This year's MRI will be in a couple of weeks.