Foods

does anyone notice that different foods or liquids make your avm react differently. for an example, i resently started to drink v8 juice, about 2 cups daily, and i can feel my avm doing something or another, like its oxidizing, like the fizziness of a newly opened can of pop or as i heard people say, worms in my head are more active when i drink it.

i emailed my neuro about this and he doesn’t have an answer for me other than, i never heard of this and he’s pretty sure its safe to drink.

just wondering if anybody else has dealt with the same thing. is it taking the swelling down, is it shrinking the avm. i’m clueless but something is happening in my head.

Ron I’m not sure about food but I was on antibiotics for a month and they changed how my brain felt . I told my Drs and they just shook there heads but that par for the coarse with me. Later Gordon

ron,
i would say that the feeling your expeiecing has nothing to do with the juice your drinking…its extreamly healthy and cant hurt you in any possible way…its full of nutrients and antioxidants…i am very healthy and only put substance of health in my body…all organic and are very big on fresh friut and vegs and antioxidants… this has only had a befnifit in a positive way on my body and health…i would be looking at other reasons as to why you may be experiencing these sensations …to me a dose of v8 juice which contains just vegetables wouldnot be effecting your avm

Alicia said:

ron,
i would say that the feeling your expeiecing has nothing to do with the juice your drinking…its extreamly healthy and cant hurt you in any possible way…its full of nutrients and antioxidants…i am very healthy and only put substance of health in my body…all organic and are very big on fresh friut and vegs and antioxidants… this has only had a befnifit in a positive way on my body and health…i would be looking at other reasons as to why you may be experiencing these sensations …to me a dose of v8 juice which contains just vegetables wouldnot be effecting your avm

alicia, but it does in some kind of way. i just took a steroid just to compare, and the v8 juice out weighs the steroid in activity by far. i can only feel the v8 on the affected side, hence the avm, i can pin point where the avm is, and its area or coverage, thats how strong the activity is, its like a game of pacman is going on inside. i cant feel anything on the other side. if i could feel it on both sides, i wouldn’t be curious as why this is. i never felt this before i had the treatment, and i used to drink v8 daily.

maybe i’m on to something… hey their was a dude that got a nobel prize for finding out that pepto bis, can prevent the acid from occuring for heartburn and indigestion, not just solving the matter.

Gordon D said:

Ron I’m not sure about food but I was on antibiotics for a month and they changed how my brain felt . I told my Drs and they just shook there heads but that par for the coarse with me. Later Gordon

it makes sense. its like the body is trying to heal itself but can’t.
yes i agree with you and doctors. everything about me they just shake their heads. on everything they were wrong, it has been 15 months and i still have swelling impairing my fine motor skills.

Hi Ron

Interesting post. I’m a former scientist so I have a few suggestions.

You should consider making your own V8 juice combining all the 8 vegetables in a blender/juicer. Does this give you the same effects? If yes, you’ll need to narrow the combination down one by one (i.e a mix of 7 vegetables then mix of 6, 5, 4, etc) until the effects are no longer present. It could be that a particular combination of vegetables are causing a synergetic effect, so you could investigate further so pin point what that is. I’ll look out for your name being mentioned at a future Noble prize ceremony!

Or,

If the above 8 vegetable combination you made with your juicer didn’t give you the same effects, then it is highly likely that the “effect” is caused by one or more of artificial ingredients. If you can narrow it down and find out what it is (by trying out other products containing one or more of that artificial ingredient), then at least you’ll know what to avoid (or look for, depending on your inclination).

Gee, I miss research…

Good luck.

Jim

My AVM was removed but before the operation, when I didnt know I had it, my headaches would get worse when I ate sugary food (could be unrelated to the AVM) who knows? You might have an allergy to something in the juice…allergies can cause headaches.

i’ve noticed that cranberry juice does the same thing. not to the same degree. honestly, i think its just the anti-bodies in these products and it has some kinda effect on the radiation/swelling. like gordon said he was on antibiotics and it change the way his head felt.

Jim said:

Hi Ron

Interesting post. I’m a former scientist so I have a few suggestions.

You should consider making your own V8 juice combining all the 8 vegetables in a blender/juicer. Does this give you the same effects? If yes, you’ll need to narrow the combination down one by one (i.e a mix of 7 vegetables then mix of 6, 5, 4, etc) until the effects are no longer present. It could be that a particular combination of vegetables are causing a synergetic effect, so you could investigate further so pin point what that is. I’ll look out for your name being mentioned at a future Noble prize ceremony!

Or,

If the above 8 vegetable combination you made with your juicer didn’t give you the same effects, then it is highly likely that the “effect” is caused by one or more of artificial ingredients. If you can narrow it down and find out what it is (by trying out other products containing one or more of that artificial ingredient), then at least you’ll know what to avoid (or look for, depending on your inclination).

Gee, I miss research…

Good luck.

Jim

Ron: I am a Medical Herbalist (MNIMH) and student of natural chemistry/pharmasy as well as biochemistry at the University. I have not tried V8 vegetable juice myself, but had a closer look at the ingredients. The vegetables in this juice have no active ingredients that can explain any negative affect on your avm, I noticed that the juice does not contain any artificial flavoring, colours or preservatives, or added sugar, which is good :slight_smile:
It does contains spice extracts though, but it does not tell you what it is?
The interesting thing would be to find out what these spicy extracts are, it might be that they contains active ingredients that could affect your blood circulation, which again could explain and possible be the cause of you sensation in your affected avm side?
Spices like ginger, cayenne pepper are powerful circulatory stimulants! If that is the case, then the circulatory stimulants could cause the blood flow through your brain to circulate more rapidly and add an extra pressure on your avm, which again could be causing your symptoms.
I am avoiding taking any herbal peripheral circulatory stimulants, herbs like Ginkgo biloba, Panax ginseng, Zingiber (ginger), Zanthoxylum (Prickly ash), Capsicum (Cayenne pepper) etc instead I am trying out Piracetam (a nootropil) which improves oxygen uptake in the brain tissues without increasing the flow.

If I was you I would check out the spicy exstracts and if they are just natural flavouring without any effect on the blood circulation, I would not worry drinking this healthy juice :slight_smile:
If you find out what the spice extracts are, I can help you finding out more about their actions.

Hanne xxx

i’m looking at a can of v8 juice now, and i cannot see anything in the ingredients that says that it includes any spices or spice extracts.

and where do you find this nootropil???

you’ll have to excuse my ignorance here, but i thought that it was the lack of the oxygen that is causing this. so in hind-sight improving the circulation would improve the oxygen levels

Hanne said:

Ron: I am a Medical Herbalist (MNIMH) and student of natural chemistry/pharmasy as well as biochemistry at the University. I have not tried V8 vegetable juice myself, but had a closer look at the ingredients. The vegetables in this juice have no active ingredients that can explain any negative affect on your avm, I noticed that the juice does not contain any artificial flavoring, colours or preservatives, or added sugar, which is good :slight_smile:
It does contains spice extracts though, but it does not tell you what it is?

The interesting thing would be to find out what these spicy extracts are, it might be that they contains active ingredients that could affect your blood circulation, which again could explain and possible be the cause of you sensation in your affected avm side?

Spices like ginger, cayenne pepper are powerful circulatory stimulants! If that is the case, then the circulatory stimulants could cause the blood flow through your brain to circulate more rapidly and add an extra pressure on your avm, which again could be causing your symptoms.

I am avoiding taking any herbal peripheral circulatory stimulants, herbs like Ginkgo biloba, Panax ginseng, Zingiber (ginger), Zanthoxylum (Prickly ash), Capsicum (Cayenne pepper) etc instead I am trying out Piracetam (a nootropil) which improves oxygen uptake in the brain tissues without increasing the flow.

If I was you I would check out the spicy exstracts and if they are just natural flavouring without any effect on the blood circulation, I would not worry drinking this healthy juice :slight_smile:

If you find out what the spice extracts are, I can help you finding out more about their actions.

Hanne xxx

Ron Some vitamins and minerals increase the red blood cells abilty to load oxygen. Which in our situation the more oxygen we get to our brain with the same amount of over all blood volume is a win win for us. The lack of oxygen can cause out blood vessels to dilate (along with many other things) there for our cerebral pressure will increase giving us that pressure and nauseous feeling. So you may have just found the AVMer drink V8. In my life before Avms I did a lot of scube diving and I had to worry about oxygen toxicity so there for some thing we would eat and some things we wouldn’t eat . I guess I should have though of this before but things just don’t work like they used to. There a lot more to all of this but some of it I can’t remember and my typing skills suck . lol And if you ask a Doctor about this it will go straight over his head more then likely . lol

Ron: I found the information about ingredients here: http://www.v8juice.co.uk/
clicked on the vegetable juice, looked under the heading nutrition and further on ingredients. It says it contain spice extracts (but I do not know if that is the case, have never heard of this juice before?)

Lack of oxygen to different places in the brain can cause symptoms like headache, fatigue, dizziness, seizures, loss of vision etc, depending which area in your brain you lack oxygen.

Because the avm lacks the capillaries, (where the oxygen normally is exchanged with CO2), and has always done that, the brain tissue next to an avm is inert, that means it has never had or will never get oxygen from that source. Because the arteries are much thicker than veins the extra pressure (due to lack of capillaries) leads to dilated arteries and the well recognized tangle or nidus. Even if we take a lot of circulatory stimulants, the avm can still not exchange oxygen, but might get a rush of blood to the nidus which can cause irritation to the brain tissue, which might cause seizures etc.

If the avm get such a rush of blood, in addition to irritate the adjacent brain tissue, it might also cause hypoxia (lack of oxygen) to other parts of the brain, causing for example a myoclonic seizure attack. To take peripheral circulation stimulants does not help in these circumstances, since the exstra circulation of blood might trigger the whole thing…

So there are usually two reasons for symptoms:
Either the avm nidus irritates the brain tissue next to it, or the avm “steal” the blood from other areas of the brain (hypoxia)

Nootropils somehow helps your braintissue to be able to absorb the oxygen available in a better way, in that way you get more oxygen and not because you are taking stimulants that rush blood to your head.

Do not know if any of this make sence, it is difficult to explain all this in a foreign language…

Hanne xxx