For those of you having seizures but no "aura"

Hi there. My husband’s AVM bled on Jan 09. Gamma Knife treatment on 03/09.l. So far he’s had 5 seizures, three in one day (that was yesterday). He’s currently on Keppra. When he’s coming off the seizure he’s desoriented, can’t communicate or comprehend what others are saying. So far these seizures have happened when I’m with him. My worry and question for those of you who have them but do not have an “aura” or warning signs, do you have someone with you at all times? How do you manage to stay safe during and after the episode? He’ll be by himself in the house while I work (and kids @ day care) from tomorrow on and I’m worried about his safety.

Seizures are not always going to give as obvious a warning signs as an aura. Auras, in themselves, can be considered a type of seizure (simple partial). I know that most of my seizure activity, while frequent, has been on the mild side. I did have one grand mal seizure a few years ago, however, and it completely snuck up on me, mostly because I had no idea what to expect. After the seizure, however, I was able to put the signs together and they seemed so obvious. The problem was I didnt know that what I was experiencing was leading to a seizure. These signs showed up about 24 hours before the seizure actually took place. Some of the signs that I now know to look for:

-A very manic-depressive state of mind (assuming that this isn’t you on a normal basis). Bouncing back and forth between full of energy and being in a positive mood, to feeling exhaused and depressed.

-Food doesn’t taste right. For example, I woke up, had a bowl of cereal and complained that the milk tasted like it had gone bad, but everyone else thought it tasted fine.

-Difficulty sleeping even though I felt exhausted.

And within a matter of minutes before the seizure hit I felt “light” almost like I was tthere, but wasn’t at the same time. It wasn’t the same as the deja vu feeling I got with my auras, just not right… Almost like I had one too many to drink. Following that, one of myears started ringing just slightly. Then the other ear. Then, they both started ringing so loud I couldn’t hear anything else that was going on around me. At the same time, my vision started going dim and it looked like everything had quickly moved several feet further away than it really was.

This all happened very quickly and I had no idea what was happening, so I didn’ have a chance to do anything to get into a safe location. There was, however, enough time that if I had known what was happening, I could have gotten on the floor and laying on my side.

Things are not going to be the same for everyone, but it’s a matter of observation. If he happens to notice that something just seems out of the ordinary, then perhaps he shoudl start paying close attention. Likewise, if you happen to be around and notice anything, you may want to take note as well.

Thank you Jake. So far he says he doesn’t feel anything just lightheaded. I noticed that yesterday before the 2nd seizure. He wasn’t quite there, but I didn’t know if it was because he just had a seizure. We are still learning.

Thanks,

Jake M said:

Seizures are not always going to give as obvious a warning signs as an aura. Auras, in themselves, can be considered a type of seizure (simple partial). I know that most of my seizure activity, while frequent, has been on the mild side. I did have one grand mal seizure a few years ago, however, and it completely snuck up on me, mostly because I had no idea what to expect. After the seizure, however, I was able to put the signs together and they seemed so obvious. The problem was I didnt know that what I was experiencing was leading to a seizure. These signs showed up about 24 hours before the seizure actually took place. Some of the signs that I now know to look for:

-A very manic-depressive state of mind (assuming that this isn’t you on a normal basis). Bouncing back and forth between full of energy and being in a positive mood, to feeling exhaused and depressed.

-Food doesn’t taste right. For example, I woke up, had a bowl of cereal and complained that the milk tasted like it had gone bad, but everyone else thought it tasted fine.

-Difficulty sleeping even though I felt exhausted.

And within a matter of minutes before the seizure hit I felt “light” almost like I was tthere, but wasn’t at the same time. It wasn’t the same as the deja vu feeling I got with my auras, just not right… Almost like I had one too many to drink. Following that, one of myears started ringing just slightly. Then the other ear. Then, they both started ringing so loud I couldn’t hear anything else that was going on around me. At the same time, my vision started going dim and it looked like everything had quickly moved several feet further away than it really was.

This all happened very quickly and I had no idea what was happening, so I didn’ have a chance to do anything to get into a safe location. There was, however, enough time that if I had known what was happening, I could have gotten on the floor and laying on my side.

Things are not going to be the same for everyone, but it’s a matter of observation. If he happens to notice that something just seems out of the ordinary, then perhaps he shoudl start paying close attention. Likewise, if you happen to be around and notice anything, you may want to take note as well.

Wow I know when mine are comming on.I just feel odd like I’m getting confused .It gives me just enough time to look for help.EMTS told me not to get on sofa, but to get on the floor away from things
…Thank God so far I have a that feeling that gives me time.