Gamma Knife Information Please

HI Everyone,
I am new here. My husband had an AVm rupture last July and was not expected to live through the night. I am happy to say that he is here and is doing well. He has had 2 embolizations and 99% of the AVM is blocked off. The doctors want to do gamma knife surgery next. Can anyone share their experiences and some pros and cons of this procedure. I am interested and wondering if it is something that really needs to be done. Thanks for any information that you all can give us.

Donna

Hi Donna,I had gamma a year ago in january,I CAN SAY I was kinda tired after the treatment,and having the halo put on,hurt a bit,they do numb it!! thank god,more the shots is what hurt,the gamma is pain free,no pain at all,its been a year or a few month over,and so afr no change to the avm,doctor did say it can take years,its a waiting game,im hoping for good news this August when i go back in to have an mri,let me know how your husbands goes,:slight_smile: hugs caroline

My son had Gamma Knife. It is my understanding that the embolization treatment might not be permanent so maybe that is why they are recommending gamma as well?? I’m sure they told you. Have they told you that surgery is out of the question? It sounds like he has been thru alot. Usually they do a consult and let you know all the pros and cons so hopefully you wil get that.
If you want more info on what the actual procedure was like, just ask.

My son has not had radiation, but I do know if there is any existing AVM it can recruit new feeders and become larger. From what I’ve been told an AVM is an AVM big or small and if it’s ruptured there is more of a risk of it rupturing again the first year. My son will have his second crainiotomy in March because some residual was left and within six months it has incorporated two new feeders and grown to approx. 2cm. For me that is the hell of these AVM’s option 1: You can’t just leave it alone because it will rupture; option2: Radiation with it’s side effects and possibly waiting 3 years and its still there; or option 3: Crainiotomy and all the risk that go with that. I want option 4 whatever that may be. There are those on this site that have no options, so I guess I should be grateful my sons is treatable. I hope this answered part of your question. I glad to hear your husband is doing well. There are a lot of people here that have had radiation and maybe they can give you more insight.

I had gamma knife and mine was pretty painless, especially compared to my bleed. The one difference is that with gamma you’ll spend a lot of time waiting around - which may or may not be a big deal depending on how active your husband is. Don’t worry about gamma knife. Your neurosurgeon will discuss the risks and what you should keep an eye out for, but at least it’s non-invasive. I’m happy to hear he’s doing well!

I agree with Ben, you don’t need to worry about the gamma knife. The worst part of the actual day is fitting of the halo and taking it off, but the gamma knife itself is completely painless.
As Caroline already said it takes a long time for the treatment to have an effect, so you need to be patient (that certainly did not come naturally for me!)
Afterwards I also had some sharp, but short-lived pains on the site and lost a patch of hair, but that has all grown back.

It is a long day with all the scans, angio and gamma but the treatment itself is painless so nothing to worry about. There are lots of sites that give information about the process
Kev