Gamma Knife vs.Surgery

We are currently debating gamma knife and surgery. Surgery has been suggested as the number one option, gamma knife was ruled out by one doc, and ruled as a possibility by another. It’s very much a risk vs. reward issue and the risks being scary with both options. I, of course, would prefer my husband just has the AVM removed. He is worried about surgery complications. I’m worried about what happens during the 2-3 years we wait with a less stable AVM and the possibility it could rupture, or if it doesn’t work and then have to do the surgery with a less stable AVM that’s more likely to bleed when removed. Would love any feedback!

Only your husband can decide. His instinct will tell him. I decided for embolisation, than radiation, because one of the doctors shake his head a little bit, when they talk about surgery. It was my instinkt to say no to surgery. I really don’t know, what would have been better. May be, it was wrong, may be not.
I hope everything will be fine.

For my AVM, my surgeon said that starting with surgery would be higher risk of deficits. His original plan was 2 rounds of Gamma Knife, followed by a craniotomy (all this over a 2-3 year period.)

I had my first Gamma Knife treatment in June. Had a crani for aneurysms, not the AVM, in July, and I’m scheduled for my 2nd GK in December. He now thinks I won’t have to have a crani for the AVM at all!

Although we had half-way mentally prepared ourselves that I would start out with a craniotomy & possibly lose my left field of vision, we were very relieved after my angiogram when my surgeon recommended starting with GK. I’m a special education reading teacher. I need to be able to look at text all day so I can help my kids and so that I can do all of the paperwork required by state & federal law.

I really trust my surgeon, so I went with his recommendation.

Hi Honey. There is a sub-group here you may wish to join…
http://www.avmsurvivors.org/group/radiosurgerypatientsgammaknifeother
It is a very personal decision on how to get rid of an AVM. Whichever route your husband takes…make certain the doctor has tons of experience in dealing with AVMs.

Hello, well my sister is 33yrs old, had her bleed on aug 28th, was in coma for 17days. her avm was 2.5cm. right frontal lobe. She has surgery yesterday. Her doctors specialize in AVM’s. She was giving many different options for treatment but was a best candidate for surgery. She had 3 angio’s where they were able to embolisation 85% of her AVM’s which gave her a low risk of a bleed during surgery. She is 24 hrs post craniotomy and is doing amazingly good. She is sitting up on her own and talking. They said she might have weak left side but she is moving everything just fine.

Now my thing is this. I dont have as much knowledge about avms like most people here but i am a research geek. I look at it this way. If it were me. I cant live my life scared. I say make sure your husbands doctors specializes in AVM’s. what deficits did they say can happen post with surgery? how big is his avm? Is it deep? has he had a angio? I understand things better when they give me percentage. Like what percentage does he have for a successful surgery? My sisters doctors were very honest and clear about her condition. I wish you and her husband the best of luck, One thing you must have is patience. I am so grateful to have found this website. Everyone here is so supportive and warm hearted.I am sure what ever treatment he picks will be best for him.

Nina

AVM’s are evil but can be beat…

The neurosurgeon said because you don’t know how the AVM will respond to the radiation, and it’s never a nice, neat, organized or even logical sealing off of arteries, the AVM is more likely to rupture than it was before because its integrity has been altered

i had gammaknife and embolization last friday. due to it i lost strength in my left arm. but my brain looks bunches better. hope your surgery goes well.

The major thing stopping us is the 80% success rate. Looking like hubby isn’t a very good candidate anyway. His AVM is very accessible and in a non-eloquent part of his cerebellum so looks like we have our answer but we are still going to meet with a radio oncologist. I might directly ask your doc because we have had 3 separate docs agree a partially treated AVM becomes less stable…

After my first smallish avm bleed I had gamma knife which was painful…I was discharged and five days after it I had a massive avm bleed which required the crani which was not as painful because of sedation… But like the other posts say ur doc is the best judge of this …