Great News

So many have had to have the holes in the head for radiation…but progress is still coming our way. I was treated at Precision Radiothearpy in West Chester, Ohio (associate with Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati, Ohio)…and was fitted with the new mesh net. Yes…I said MESH.

You simply lay down and they place a warm mesh net over your face (full of holes and openings) and they simply rub their hands over your face here and there for a while (feels like a soft massage and I almost feel asleep while they did it). Poof…they have a mold of your face and the front of your head.

Procedure…you simply lay down as you would for any radiation…they place the net mesh mask over you…clap it into place…and poof !!! It is wonderful. No more pain. If I recall correctly, only two other hospitals are now using it, but I don’t know which ones they are.

HI,
That is great! That option was available for me and I would have preferred it but my Docs have read some recent studies that prefer the head frame over the mask. I’m sure that all docs will have different opinions on the matter. I wish they would have gone that route on me but I had to trust their judegement. I just went in yesterday for my radiation and although the mask was unpleasant it wasn’t as bad as I thought.

Rachel

Glad to hear that there is a less painful option out there for radiation treatment.

Take care,

Debbie

The frame was not painful for me.
Jim said that he worried about it for nothing, I agree.
They put me to sleep when they put the frame on, I felt nothing, I did awake when I was getting the angiogram and I felt one of the pins, they said be patient, we will take care of it when we are done the angiogram, they did, the docs put more numbing medicine and then I did not feel a thing.

You have to have the right medicine not to feel the frame, I didn’t look at it so I have no idea how it looked, I assume it was weird.

Peace,
Ameenah

I read about this. This is great news if they can get rid of the halo.

Hello Julie .
Wonderful that you had a better experience with the masking !
Another ray of hope for all , perhaps a small one but the possibilities…

I was treated with this at Kaiser Permanente in September 2006. It was radiosurgery with the NOVALIS which I believe is a like the gamma knife. I was told there were only two machines on the west coast. The other one I think was at UCLA.

Was Novalis…and the mesh net which I totally loved. I imagine they would not have used pins on me anyway due the fact that although left temp lobe, the area which the pins go in would be right where my skull sunk a little bit. So for me, the mesh net was wonderful, as I did not have to go for another cran. Procedures were at Precision Radiotherapy in West Chester, Ohio.

julia daly said:

I was treated with this at Kaiser Permanente in September 2006. It was radiosurgery with the NOVALIS which I believe is a like the gamma knife. I was told there were only two machines on the west coast. The other one I think was at UCLA.

I had Cyberknife and I had the mask. I must say I freaked out when they bolted it to the table, but it is better then the screws others had.We have a few hospitals here that do it that way and I do recomend it!

That does sound like great news, Julie!

Glad to hear you had a good experience with it. You are so right about when they clamp it down. The mask did not bother me in the least and they made sure I was 100% comfortable before they would even begin to place the mask, but the sound when I heard the clamp down…tha was a entirelly different feeling all together. Only last a few seconds, but within those few seconds…wowww.

pauline horsley said:

I had Cyberknife and I had the mask. I must say I freaked out when they bolted it to the table, but it is better then the screws others had.We have a few hospitals here that do it that way and I do recomend it!

Waves Hello to Connie.

Connie T said:

That does sound like great news, Julie!

Duke University uses the mesh mask method. They are going to be fitting me for mine soon…I have talked to some pts that have done this and they say that it is much more comfortable, but it is still a nice tight fit to keep your head in place.
Caroline

It sure is. What really surprised me is, how comfortable I was while they did it. I actually found it to be very relaxing. BTW, if you have arthritis or just are not comfortable laying on your back for a while…just let them know you have a problem with laying flat for time periods, and they will prop up a leg/knee rest for you. With the team I had, they even make sure my head was extra comfortable before they ever started. I sure hope you get the royal treatment as I did.

Wishing the best for you.

Caroline Frances said:

Duke University uses the mesh mask method. They are going to be fitting me for mine soon…I have talked to some pts that have done this and they say that it is much more comfortable, but it is still a nice tight fit to keep your head in place.
Caroline

Hi,
THanks for the info, im schedule on Nov-25-09. To discuss what kind of procedure (Radiation).
I will suggested that to my doctor… I still dont know whats going to happend.

wow. this is the first I’ve heard of the mask. that is such good news. my daughter was 16 yrs. when she had Gamma Knife and although she was told the halo wouldn’t hurt and would only feel like a “tight hat” she was in a lot of pain and if she had to do it again I think she’d be a basket case. They gave her pain meds but on a empty stomach made her nauseous so we’re not liking the halo so much!! She is also left with a hole scar on her forehead. How can they think it wouldn’t hurt to screw 4 screws in your head while you’re awake? Maybe some people are put to sleep but they wanted her awake. She was a brave little girl and didn’t complain but I could see the tears dripping out the sides of her eyes. Don’t get me wrong-I think the n.s. and his team were awesome. It was just a necessary evil at the time(2.5 yrs ago).