Grey hair after surgeries

ok…this is something I just recently thought of…I’ve been dealing with grey hair for 2 years now and I’m only 23. Shortly after my surgery grey hair started to grow so I have been dying it to hide them. Lol (now being pregnant, i’m not) I’ve wondered if having some kind of brain trauma can cause your hair follicles to go bad? How many others are out there that are at an age where you typically dont get grey hair and have it now after having some kind of surgery to the head? Thankfully my hair is a blond color so it doesn’t show up too bad…but being 21 when I started to get it just means that more will follow. lol.

hi Brittany that is young for grays,not sure if the surgery did it,but my husband also went gray at 25 and he has black hair,after i had radiation a ton fo gray came in,almost hard to keep up with,not sure if tramadoes it,i wondered if radiation does it too,so good question,sorry im not sure,illkeep an eye on this post to see what everyone thinks,:slight_smile: hope your feeling good,caroline:)

Hi Brittany, when i went to get my hair cut a couple of months after i had surgery my hair dresser told me a story of a friend of hers who had cracked her skull open when she was younger and right around the area it had cracked had gone grey. so maybe it is trauma related?

I’m 32 and haven’t had much of a problem with gray… So far. Maybe a random gray on my chest from time to time, but I doubt that is related to my surgery. I have, however, had some very dark, course hairs showung up right along my scar.

Hi Brittany,

I don’t know from personal experience or if it has anything to do with AVM surgery, but I know someone that had light brown hair before going through radiation treatents for cancer now has gray hair. Glad to hear the baby is doing well.

Debbie

Hi! I had a few gray hairs before my surgery (I was 29 at the time of my surgery, and I’m only 30 now) and I has a significant increase in my amount of gray hair. I don’t know if it has to do with the surgery or just the fact that we have to shave our heads right down to the scalp… but I’ve noticed it too :slight_smile:

My hair is jet black and like you, after my surgery, a lot of gray hair showed up…So, I dye them every few moths because they really stand out!!! However, my doctor told me it had to do with the radiation they used during the surgery. If you ask me…I am ok with it considering what the alternative would be. Now I am 30 and have more gray hair than my 75 yr old grandma :o)

brittany,
i do belive truma changes your hair colour and texture,
before i had my surgery i was naturally blonde…and used to dye my hair black…after shaving my head and the cranni my hair grew back black and curly it used to be straight…at least now i save on the black dye lol but i hate the curls

This reminds me of a somewhat popular song from the mid-90’s by the band Crash Test Dummies. Their most famous song, “Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm” had a verse that goes as follows:

“Once, there was this kid who
Got into an accident and couldn’t come to school
But when he finally came back
His hair had turned from black into bright white
He said that it was from
When the cars had smashed him so hard…”

I beleive Brittany is on to something as far as trauma is concerned. For example, people can lose their hair due to stress, which means that there is obviously something taking place at the folicle level. Likewise, hair can be used to show a record of your medical history. It can show if you’ve been exposed to radiation, difefrent types of medications/drugs, dietary changes, etc. The same can be said for finger/toe nails. So I think it is entirely possible for hair to turn gray as a result of surgery.

Lol Sorry Jake have no idea about that song…could be because I was probably on in the 5th grade. But I have noticed that a lot of people with head trauma have had a change in their hair so I thought there must be some kind of connection. I’m glad to see that I have other people pondering about this subject.

Jake M said:

This reminds me of a somewhat popular song from the mid-90’s by the band Crash Test Dummies. Their most famous song, “Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm” had a verse that goes as follows:

He said that it was from

I beleive Brittany is on to something as far as trauma is concerned. For example, people can lose their hair due to stress, which means that there is obviously something taking place at the folicle level. Likewise, hair can be used to show a record of your medical history. It can show if you’ve been exposed to radiation, difefrent types of medications/drugs, dietary changes, etc. The same can be said for finger/toe nails. So I think it is entirely possible for hair to turn gray as a result of surgery.

My hair was a big issue after my surgery. I lost alot about a month or so after the surgery so half my head was shaved and then my hair started falling out in clumps while I was in the shower like a horror movie. After my hair grew back I noticed I had added a bunch of gray! On top of that…half my head was curly and the other was straight. My hairdresser explained the science behind the curls but we both ignored the gray and finally colored it a few weeks ago. Just another war wound!!!

Brittany said:

Lol Sorry Jake have no idea about that song…could be because I was probably on in the 5th grade. But I have noticed that a lot of people with head trauma have had a change in their hair so I thought there must be some kind of connection. I’m glad to see that I have other people pondering about this subject.

Jake M said:

He said that it was from

Interesting. I was gonna ask a similar question myself. Since my surgery I’ve noticed my hair around that area now grows more and is wavy/curly, when my hair is originally dead straight.