Hair loss after Embolization

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced some hair loss after having a embolization? At first I thought it was from stress and maybe all of the MRIs. But my hair has started coming out more and more in the area of my AVM since I had my embolization. My doctors never mentioned this being a side effect so I'm concerned it could be something else. I plan on talking with my doctors about this during my next follow up.

It’ll grow back! The doctors use radiation to view the brain and guide the embolization, and temporary hair loss is a side effect of the radiation.

thanks JH !

Hey my names Nathan, i know what you mean, i had a gamma knife done and after about a week or so i started losing hair. More and more eventually started coming out. Yea, they didn’t tell me that either so i freaked out. I’m not girly or anything but i’m really into my hair looking good lol. I eventually decided to get a good lookin mohawk lol but after about a month or 2 it started growing back little by little. Unfortunately it happened everytime i went for consistent mri’s and for my Gamma Knife. So really all i could say is well it grows back, no worries. good luck.

Hello and yes you loss your hair from having the embolization. I’ve lost my hair from it and the doctor never told me as well until i went it to see him. He stated the reason i was lossing my hair because of the radiation thats in the camera that there taking the pictures from…I was concern when i first had my embolization so i having a third one done so i cut my hair off

Yes…mine comes and goes. It grows back but then comes out and grows back again and starts the process all over again. I know i’ll probaby go through this process for a while being that im having the gamma knife or srs done. Thanks guys !

Hi Nathan, good idea with mohawk ! lol

I lost big clumps of hair after my embo. The bald spots freaked me out. It does grow back, but once you think it is done falling out more will start.

HI, SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY BUT I DIDNT LOSE ANY HAIR FROM MY EMBO. I DID CUT IT OFF BEFORE THE SURGERY AND I DID LOSE SOME AFTER THAT BUT NOT WORRIED ABOUT THAT AS LONG AS THEY SALE SOME, JUST WAITIN ON MY DOC TO SAY IT'S GOOD THEN I WILL BE BACK TO MY NORMAL SELF, MAYBE THAT'S WHY SOME OF IT CAME OUT IN THE BACK BUT IT HAS ALREADY STARTED TO COME BACK. KEEP ME UP TO DATE OK