Hair re-growth Crainiotomy

so after they took my stiches off i had no hair after a while my hair seem like it started to grow back but in spots not all the way like i wish it would now im looking into a new hair style but does any one have any ideas off why is not growing like it did before also has any one had a full re-grow after surgery… and what do ya think about this hair style do ya think it would cover my scar i dont plan to have it that color lol just regular black just like my color…
472-DSC01408.JPG (1.86 MB)
473-hair.jpg (23.5 KB)

My first surgery was over 2 years ago…i still have patches of hair and the hair has only grown out about 4 inches. And several bald spots that aren’t just from scar tissue. Which really sucks because everytime I do go to the hair salon I have to basically get it cut the exact same way so I can hide it and my 4 scars. Its pretty embarassing having to have my hair cut like this, especially since I didnt like it to begin with. I thought eventually it woudl grow back and I could style it like I used to. but that hasn’t happened yet. Good Luck!

Hi Miguel,

I don’t have an answer for you about why it’s growing in like that but I thought I’d share that Nea’s hair is growing in oddly, too. It’s not growing in on the scar, but the rest of the area that was shaved is growing straight up, very punk like. Her “regular” hair is down to the middle of her back, so here’s hoping that as the new hair gets longer it will start to lay down :slight_smile:

I had 2 surgeries in march and my scar is still pretty thick with the hair regrowing very slowly around it so I am not sure why but it is happening but very slowly, dont worry it will grow back but you will still have a scar! Take care man

it took 12 months for my hair to fully grow back to cover my whole head… i used to have staight hair and it has grown back curly…it also grew back black…i was naturally blonde and used to dye my hair black… at least now i save money on the dye lol…but it has freaked me out to go from straight to curly…but it does eventually grow back to cover your head but like brittany said you have to have it cut in cirtain way to cover scars as hair doesnt grow through scar tissue

hmm i guess it’s harder for guys to hide the scar unless they want longer hair. it took moths for my hair to grow enough to hide the scar. 6 months in, it is still only a few inches long. maybe wait a while, let the hair grow out a bit more and then change things up. Like Alicia said hair doesn’t grow through scar there has been damage done to the scalp, but for the most part it should grow around it at least enough to pull some sort of style off. Talk to the person cutting your hair to see if they think the style will cover the scar. And for the time being, treat that scar as a badge of honour, it’s not like most people have experienced what you have.

My surgery was over 2 years ago and my hairs have still only grown out about 4 inches…looked horrible for months cause it just wanted to stick up. Lol now it just looks a little funny because an area of my hair has more volume to it then the other. :slight_smile: but still very annoying.

Nea’s Mom said:

Hi Miguel,

I don’t have an answer for you about why it’s growing in like that but I thought I’d share that Nea’s hair is growing in oddly, too. It’s not growing in on the scar, but the rest of the area that was shaved is growing straight up, very punk like. Her “regular” hair is down to the middle of her back, so here’s hoping that as the new hair gets longer it will start to lay down :slight_smile:

Hey Miguel. As I believe I have mentioned to you in the past, I have a very similar scar… A wonderful ‘?’ shape right along the front of my ear and across the side of my scalp almost all the way to my forehead. At the time of my surgery, they left all of my hair with the exception of a very fine line that was shaved right where the cut was made. I was pretty much expecting my head to be almost completely shaved, so I was surprised when I realized that I still had a full head of hair. On the down side, the hair in the ‘flap’ that was pulled down during surgery was put back in place slightly crooked, so my hair now grows in a slightly different direction than everything around it.

However, much as others have said, it took quite some time for the scar to fill-in at all, and even now, 4 years later, I still have a blank line where the hair refuses to come in. "Oh well, " I thought, “I’ve always had very thick, full hair, my dad is 60 and still has a full head of hair, both of my grandfathers are in their 80’s and still have at least 75% of the hair that they had when they were younger, so I should be OK.” Well, that was before I had to start taking multiple medications, like Keppra, which has caused a lot of my hair to start falling out.

So I now have 4 four choices:

1. Grow my hair longer and let it help fill-in any thinning areas.
  2. Cut my hair short and just let my scar and the thinning hair create an interesting pattern on my head.
  3. Grow out the hair on one side of my head and sport a swell comb-over.
  4. Shave my head completely and show-off my nifty battle scars.

Right now, my hair is the longest it has been since high school and my wife is constantly asking me when I am going to get a haircut. In the same breath, she’ll make comments about how my hair is thinning. Then she’ll make comments about how she’s getting so ‘old’… She’s 28 for crying out loud! I’m 32, so I guess that makes me a fossil. But I digress! It can be a little tough to figure out what to do with your hair when you have a large scar on your head. Let me know if you figure something out!

I don’t think anyone will grow their hair perfectly back to normal after something like a craniotomy… It’s been just about 2 years since I had my surgery and you can still see my scar through my hair since it won’t grow on it. not just that, my hair is naturally dead straight, but now my right sideburn is curly (which is next to my scar) and grows faster than my left…

Never had any problem with my hair regrowth, took a few months (like 4-6) to completely hide any sign of the scar, grew back same color and texture too… but it can take a while. I can still notice the place where the scar is when I pull my hair away from my face (not to mention a section of my forehead where it is slightly caved in shows too) so it might never completely be covered. But maybe it has something to do with the procedure. Did you have GK or Crainiotmy? I’m not sure if it matters but its worth looking into.