Has anyone ever heard of an AVM disappearing on its own?

My 8 year old son had a brain haemmorhage in April 2011 due to an AVM in the left side of his brain. When the surgeons did the angiogram and embolisation they said they had found another AVM on the right side of his brain but they wanted to leave it alone for a while to let him recover.

We went back for a follow up angiogram and MRI scan last week, and the surgeon came to see us with some 'good news'. He said they were unable to see the AVM - which meant one of two things - either the AVM has disappeared of it's own accord, or they are just unable to see it for some reason.

Because I was so taken aback, I didn't ask any questions and now we have been sent home and are due to have a follow up appt in about 6 weeks.

I have never heard of an AVM just going away on its own, and wondered if anyone else had ever had a similar experience.

I do not discount that the AVM might have 'gone away' on it's own.

I do believe that is very unlikely though.

Did the angio include contrast dye? If not, that might preclude it from being seen.

Chari had an aneurysm 'show up' on a scan following an embolization. I asked "Why has no one previously identified this as she's had multiple scans?" The answer I got was 'it might just have shown up, or this might be the first time it was apparent." They also said the best of the best reviewed the scan, and they found it where some other places might have missed it.

I think this might suggest a repeat of the tests at some point in the future.

Best wishes,

Ron, KS

I have never heard of it, so I think you should definitely ask the doctor for an explanation, or some evidence that this has happened in other cases.

One other possibility: they mistakenly identified a bump or a shadow of some kind as a second AVM during his angio/embo, and now they're correcting their mistake. It makes some sense that they weren't very focused on his right side while working on his left, and I know my husband has gotten false diagnoses of lung cancer and stroke from misread scans. The second scan SHOULD be where they look more closely and discover their error. I hope that's the case for your son.

My son was diagnosed with an AVM when he was younger. One day I went to get him out of the playpen and his arm just flopped like it was out of socket. His left arm was like if it was paralyzed. I thought something was wrong with his shoulder. I took him to the docs and we did an x-ray. Nothing was wrong. He was showing signs of muscle atrophy. It was overnight this big change. She sent us to see a neurologist who in turn ran MRIs on my son after an examination. The AVM appeared in his MRI it appeared in both of them. She then wanted to get a closer look so she ended up doing a deeper scan on him to get a closer look to see what they could do for him and this is when it was gone, like it just vanished. They came back to tell me that it was gone, no longer there. It puzzled me I was grateful of course but I couldn't understand it. They told me it was serious and he could die from an aneurism I had to not let him get upset or angry or throw a fit I had to keep him happy to any extent cause it was life-threatening for weeks. I still worry about it cause they just gave everything up stopped checking him and just dropped it all like nothing. His arm recovered quickly and the atrophy reversed just like that. They had no explanation. I am considering having him checked just so that I can feel rest assured cause I don't want it to just appear again and do something way worse.

Anna, I can think of about a dozen members who have reported self-obliteration of an avm, usually a very small one. It does happen.

I understand why you would continue to be worried. To be told your child has a life-threatening condition and then be told... oops, now he doesn't? It's no wonder you are thrown for a loop. I think it does make sense to have another mri someday, if your doctor agrees. And, of course, any new, odd symptoms should mean getting thoroughly checked out. To my memory, no one here on the site has reported further trouble from an avm after self-obliteration, and I hope your son will have no further difficulties. Thank you for posting, and I wish you both well.