Heat and Headaches

Hi everybody

I was just wondering if anybody’s headaches seem to get worse when it is hotter out. I live in the southeastern US; and even though I’m in the mountains, it still gets very hot and humid.
I had cyberknife treatment last october and evidently the avm appears to be shutting down but is not gone yet. I have felt much better but I think maybe the heat and humidity affect my blood pressure which may in turn make my head hurt.

I would agree with that. It got up to the 90s where I lived this weekend, and I had to fight a headache all weekend.

Debbie

My headaches are worse in the summertime as well. I think the heat does have an impact. If I get the least bit hot, I feel like I am going to pass out all of the time and dizzy worse than normal. I do not even have to be in the hot weather for 5 10 minutes before it starts. I try to build up by only going out 5 minutes at a time for the first couple of days and then increase to 10-15 minutes for another couple of days. It seems to help my head adjust to the heat and allows me eventually to spend some enjoyable time outside during the summer.

Glad my headaches haven’t gotten that bad…I don’t drive so I walk to work (and anywhere else just about). So I have to adjust to the heat fast! I am grateful they have been relatively mild headaches…more of an irritant than debilitating at this point.

My headaches get worse and more frequent during hot months as well. Not only that, but walking from a cool building out into the heat will almost immediately leave me feeling a bit dizzy. No fun!

The heat is a huge factor in my headaches. The hotter the day is the more intense of a headache I have. Though I have brown eyes and they are supposed to be the least sensitive to sunlight, my eyes have always been hypersensitive to the sun. Unless it’s raining outside I have to wear sunglasses when I’m outdoors or I get a massive headache. While it stinks that many of us have this reaction to the heat I have to admit that I feel better hearing that I’m not the only one that gets headaches when it’s hot!

The way it was explained to me was that when it gets hot your blood vessels and etc in your head constricted or expand lol can’t remember which one it is. But when its warmer outside and I’m out in the heat my head is always worse. I also noticed that even when I am inside and my head starts to hurt really bad that my face and forehead are really hot! I use and ice pack most days…haven’t noticed much of a difference with that but at least I stay cool. Also I have had a constant headache since November of 06 so I’ve been using the ice pack for a while now. Lol its funny cause my husband usually gets up int he middle of the night to replace my warmer pack for an ice cold one…its just part of our routine now.

1 Like

Brittany,
WOW, what a man, hold onto that one. Sounds like he helps take very good care of you. Also sounds like if he is that good with you, he is going to make a wonderful father and he must be anxiously awaiting the new addition to your family.
I am confident that with your knowledge and determination eveything is going to be fine with your delivery.
I know it’s hard to keep those Dr’s in line sometimes but sounds like you’ve got it under control

All the best
Brittany said:

The way it was explained to me was that when it gets hot your blood vessels and etc in your head constricted or expand lol can’t remember which one it is. But when its warmer outside and I’m out in the heat my head is always worse. I also noticed that even when I am inside and my head starts to hurt really bad that my face and forehead are really hot! I use and ice pack most days…haven’t noticed much of a difference with that but at least I stay cool. Also I have had a constant headache since November of 06 so I’ve been using the ice pack for a while now. Lol its funny cause my husband usually gets up int he middle of the night to replace my warmer pack for an ice cold one…its just part of our routine now.

hi, i had my gk done 04-01-2009 i’ve had very mild headaches since then so mild that i do not take anything for them and they don’t last long either. but the last couple of days i have had to take a tylenol because the headache has been pretty bad. i am wondering is this normal? the ache is comming from the original site of my bleed. i don’t think mine are comming from the heat because it’s been hot here. i live a couple of miles outside of houston. we had had triple digits for a monthe now and with the heat index if feels like 108. my daughter in law said maybe it’s the barometric pressure. i’ll have to start paying attention to that and see how my body reacts. any insight would be much appreciated. grace

I’d have to say for you it could still be the heat. even if its been warm for a while. Or it could also be the barometric pressure. That also effects mine along with the heat. I wish I could say that I’ve had time without a headache but in the last 2.5 years there hasn’t been a SINGLE day when I can say that. We have even talked about moving to a cooler place…but I have raynauds disease which is problems with circulation in my hands and feet so being colder wouldn’t help that. LOL can’t win for loosing.

grace said:

hi, i had my gk done 04-01-2009 i’ve had very mild headaches since then so mild that i do not take anything for them and they don’t last long either. but the last couple of days i have had to take a tylenol because the headache has been pretty bad. i am wondering is this normal? the ache is comming from the original site of my bleed. i don’t think mine are comming from the heat because it’s been hot here. i live a couple of miles outside of houston. we had had triple digits for a monthe now and with the heat index if feels like 108. my daughter in law said maybe it’s the barometric pressure. i’ll have to start paying attention to that and see how my body reacts. any insight would be much appreciated. grace

I’ve noticed how much the heat bothers me now. Before the stroke I had that was caused by the bleed of the AVM, the heat never bothered me. I actually enjoyed hot weather. Now, I make adjustments: wetting down my hair and neck before I go outside (if it’s hot), bringing water with me, wearing thin clothing. It’s a pain to have to make all these changes, but it makes it easier to be in the hot weather.

The barometric pressure seems to effect me the most. I used to hardly ever check on the weather patterns, but now I am always checking so I can be prepared for barometric changes, especially lows.

Interestingly enough, Brigham and Women’s hospital (I’m pretty sure) did a study on how weather changes effect people.

Mike

I have noticed that the wind also brings on a bad headache. And sometimes the heat, its been a mild summer where i live so maybe thats why. Also my memory stinks so i cant recall past summers. I also know when i get stressed and my blood pressure rises it an instant headache and I get such nauesa.

When my headaches get really bad I also get really nauseated. I wonder if it is related? I’ve been the type of person that has nausea as a symptom at least once a week since I was about 18 or so and boy does that stuff get OLD. lol. When my headaches get bad its not like a migraine light, sound or anything doesn’t bother it. But for some reason I throw up a lot because of them. Lol I wish we could all be HEADACHE FREE!!! oh and SEIZURE FREE!!! Wouldn’t that be amazing.

Andrea Fisher said:

I have noticed that the wind also brings on a bad headache. And sometimes the heat, its been a mild summer where i live so maybe thats why. Also my memory stinks so i cant recall past summers. I also know when i get stressed and my blood pressure rises it an instant headache and I get such nauesa.

Grace, i had gk 9/30/09 and i have headache daily; mostly in the afternoon/evening after work; you post interested me because i live in Beaumont and went to houston for gk; i have had no luck with over the counter meds for my headache; that is great that tylenol helps; do you have a neurololgist in houston that you use that is familiar with AVM’s? i am looking for one to switch to? we dont have one in beaumont. thanks for your input. and good luck with your headache.

grace said:

Yes, the heat has always caused my son increased problems; more headaches, vomitting, etc.

Debbie Considine said:

I would agree with that. It got up to the 90s where I lived this weekend, and I had to fight a headache all weekend.

Debbie

Hi I live in Mexico (veracruz port),and here the humidity sucks…also is very hot. Today is a nice day with 30,° Celsius and 50% of humidity.

When it’s super hot like 45° my head feels heavy got headaches and I got tired very quickly and when the temperature got down and its mostly windy well windy weather also makes me feel weird, my back got stiff and got dizzy… and my tn pain strikes , but Im kind of getting use to it, I’m soon to have my surgery.