Hey Guys, Good News- doog poop and more

I have been advised many times over these years, that I would do well with a service dog, It could be a dog trained to stay on my left side, where I cannot see, and maybe help me find things!!??? I finally decided to take the leap, and I applied to a nearby school. They called me to ask who my O & M counselor is. I asked what is O & M. That's my first sign this was going to go downhill. I was referred to the Lighthouse, so they can either provide Orientation and Mobility Training, or decide I don't need it. I am 61, but the woman Sue from Lighthouse said they trained a 100 year old woman. Then I can go to service dog school. I live alone and am sometimes so in despair about living alone and not driving and not knowing many people, and not having a girlfriend to talk with in person and laugh and all that. A dog will make up for some of that loneliness. I know it. I am not a fan of dog poop picking up (I even hate the word scooper.) I cannot tolerate barking - repetitive barking . My brain injury does not like that. I live where there is not much green space except the next door golf course (not) for walking a dog. Remember, I ride a bike when I have to go anywhere reasonably close. I should not ride one, I know I can get injured easily (and have been hit), especially in Florida, but I do it anyway. I make believe I am not as blind as I am. I play normal. I can actually see better on a bike because of distance. It expands my visual field, but I still miss close left messes. I have ridden a bike my entire life and I am 61. It is the one consistent thing I love to do. I am happier than a kid when I ride. BUT, I will not walk a dog and ride a bike. No way. So I guess we can go on a bus to the dog park? Will he wait to get there to poop? What is he poops on the bus? The other problem: I have is I that I have not told anyone but my niece. She is very happy, will keep the dog if need be, will help me get the food. My son is coming to visit me today. He lives in Virginia. He is a what used to be called a Yuppie raised by me and his dad - old hippies. We are different. We are alike. I love him so much, he is a great guy, just got married, etc. But he will put his nose up at this service dog.. His first reaction to my new and clever idea will be to say Oh MOM. I can hear it, and I can see his face IHe will tell me he does not like digs (just like his father who is deceased.) I cannot argue with people, especially him. He will not change my course of action, but I will feel less happy about it and try to convince him it's all good.

He's is only hours away now, and I have not seen him for awhile. Obviously what he thinks is important to me. He is very smart and orderly. I am smart, with quirks, and not at all orderly. Words of advice please. The poop, the kid, the apartment where I live, the change....

beans

Hi Irene. I have yet to meet a service dog that was not house trained. In other words...the dog will hold it on the bus. These dogs are TRAINED. In all the years I've flown and worked...none of these dogs bark. I actually stepped on one of these dog's tails while picking up food trays. The dog only moved closer to his owner.I was mortified and said to the sight impaired passenger that I did not see his dog. The man's response...Don't worry...I never see him either...I'm blind.

Hi Irene,

A couple of comments. Our next dog, if we get one, will be a Golden Retriever Service dog in Training. We would teach it basic commands, travel with it, and give it up after 18-24 months to become someone's service dog. (Our last golden which was wonderful lived to be 17 and was a pleasure to us her whole life--she literally grew up with our kids and helped raise them.)

Anyway, a couple of points. An older blind gentleman in our church had a service dog for a few years. I saw that dog walk him into pillars of concrete in the church lobby more than once! I don't know the details, but suspect he was not following the rules of the agency such as continuing to train the dog and making him work to retain his training. They took his dog away from him. So it's not like you get a full up trained dog and never have to continue training.

I personally don't think it's fair to a dog to make it wait for a bus ride go do it's business. Would you be willing to get up in the morning, dress, get on a bus, ride to some park, get off, and THEN get to use the restroom? I wouldn't. And you'd be looking at more than several trips per day. Options would be to move somewhere else where you would have your own backyard.

On the plus side, I know our vet provided free monthly grooming and medical care for another service dog in the community. If you get a dog, would be worth checking as those bill can climb. Bathing a full grown water dog is not for the faint of heart--you will get as wet as the dog!

Finally, I'd study the requirements from the agencies as I think they are pretty strict on who they give them to.

Best Wishes,

Ron, KS

Barbara

You make me laugh. What a great response the man had.

beans

Barbara H. said:

Hi Irene. I have yet to meet a service dog that was not house trained. In other words...the dog will hold it on the bus. These dogs are TRAINED. In all the years I've flown and worked...none of these dogs bark. I actually stepped on one of these dog's tails while picking up food trays. The dog only moved closer to his owner.I was mortified and said to the sight impaired passenger that I did not see his dog. The man's response...Don't worry...I never see him either...I'm blind.

Hi Irene. I think it’s a great idea. I grew up on a dairy farm and we always had dogs that used to run with us on our motor bikes and ATV. We never had to worry about the dog poop because they could go wherever they wanted. When I moved to CA city life I missed having pets and I would really like one for my kids etc but the poop scoop thing just dosent sound like fun. Another deal breaker for me is the daily walking and time factor pets need. In your case you will be with the dog all the time so it will get the exercise it needs and you will have a new best friend. I say go for it.

I'm so glad you will now have a best friend who will take good care of you! Bravo!!!

I must have confused some people in my discussion today about getting a Service dog. I gave the impression I had nowhere to walk the dog except a dog park on a bus. There are long beautiful sidewalks all over the area and around my condo, These are the same ones I ride my bike on, and the sidewalks have grass around them. Thee are neighborhoods to walk through. I will clean the mess up, of course. Just wanted to clear that up.
beans

I think the benefits would outweigh the drawbacks, you should try and get one if you can!! Or what about a cat for companionship?? Good luck trying to train a cat though…

Hi Irene,

Sorry I must have misread your post. With your clarification, I say GO FOR IT.

Ron, KS

thanks Ron, I am glad you understand now. When I write I leave things out - sometimes because I just do, sometimes because I think people know what I am thinking, and sometimes I am just being funny, or think I am. I am a gentle loving person who has owned many cats - one at a time - over the years, and one dog, Lupe, a dalmation, who was sort of just dumped on me.She was a strange dog, sort of dumb and part deaf and she knew no games and did not know about playing, but we used to run together. I had her for 8 years, and loved her a lot. I lived in Delaware on 4 acres, so that would be different than walking a dog. I am not afraid of bathing one, and I have relatives nearby who will let me use their yards for bathing. They may even do it for me. There are so many vets who come to your house now, and there are emergency places for animals around, too.

beans

Just read your post and would definatly apply for a dog as I have seen, since raising our blind guide dog puppy, see my page, how much difference a dog, assistance or guide, can make to peoples lives.

As for the "poop" our guide dog puppys are trained to toilet on command before going from the home.

Good luck

Kevin

Thanks for the uplifting message and the poop info. I start O & M Training next week, which means Orientation and Mobilization which I have never done. The guide dog school suggested doing that first.I never had any rehab for my vision, so anything I learn will help. I may be 60 but I still feel young, and I will keep trying to improve no matter how old. Thanks again.

kevin matthews said:

Just read your post and would definatly apply for a dog as I have seen, since raising our blind guide dog puppy, see my page, how much difference a dog, assistance or guide, can make to peoples lives.

As for the "poop" our guide dog puppys are trained to toilet on command before going from the home.

Good luck

Kevin