It was a year ago (Friday, April 30th) that I had radio surgery



I had an MRI a week ago today and I now go to for a follow up appointment to find out the results this Friday. I'm very nervous about the whole thing (for some reason).

Good luck. It’s nerve-wracking because you just want it gone. I’ll be thinking of you.

Jim I had gamma knife done in 07 the 1st 2 years there was no change. When I just seen the dr in march (2010) the avm shrunk to half the size! So even if you don’t get the news you want to hear on friday don’t worry it will all work out!!! Best of luck

Sending good thoughts your way. I always get nervous myself when I have an MRI.

Take care,

Debbie

Jim I am sending you good karma and many prayers. I hope everything shows good progress. You have every right to be nervous it’s your brain and this mess could bring the anyone to insanity. ‘I look so strong when the weight of all the world takes it toll.’

Good luck. You’ll be in my prayers! Keep us posted please and let us know how it goes…

I had my appointment with the neurosurgeons today - it went exactly as you had mentioned. There has been no change (as far as they can see. But thankfully, I’m not worse!) I will have another appointment in one year and then another at the 3rd year (with an angiogram). They appear confident that the avm will be obliterated (as it is a micro avm) however it does take time. Its so small that they can’t tell exactly what’s going on (it may almost be healed) but they said not to worry and to carry on.

Thanks again for your response.

Andrea Fisher said:

Jim I had gamma knife done in 07 the 1st 2 years there was no change. When I just seen the dr in march (2010) the avm shrunk to half the size! So even if you don’t get the news you want to hear on friday don’t worry it will all work out!!! Best of luck

That is good news! I hope you are right and that it is just so small they can’t see exactly what is going on with it. Confidence from the docs is always a good sign! Best of luck and keep doing what your doing. You must be something right if it didn’t get worse. :slight_smile:

Hey Jamie, thanks for the message. To be honest, I was secretly hoping it would’ve been obliterated - but I kinda knew that was being overly optimistic. Thanks again.

Jamie Pantelis said:

That is good news! I hope you are right and that it is just so small they can’t see exactly what is going on with it. Confidence from the docs is always a good sign! Best of luck and keep doing what your doing. You must be something right if it didn’t get worse. :slight_smile:

I was hoping that for you too, but everything I read about gamma says it takes time to obliterate it. I would be climbing the walls if it were me! I am still confused how they determine surgery or gamma. I know it has to do with size and location, but what else. Is it also doctor to doctor?

Yeah, my avm is very small (micro avm) but it is located in a very tricky location. Because of its size and location, surgery was not an option. They tried to embolize it - but it is so small and so deep - the outcome would have been unpredictable (read: hazardous). So, thankfully, they decided radio surgery was the final and best option.

The doctors have been amazing and seem very confident that it will be obliterated without further complications. The treatment takes up to three years and I am at year one - it may take a bit longer than a year - it may take a lot longer than a year. Life goes on.

Jamie Pantelis said:

I was hoping that for you too, but everything I read about gamma says it takes time to obliterate it. I would be climbing the walls if it were me! I am still confused how they determine surgery or gamma. I know it has to do with size and location, but what else. Is it also doctor to doctor?

I’m glad things have stayed the same over all for you. Give it time and see how things pan out over the long run. Are you getting headackes?

Hello Jim .
Good to read you are holding fast and steady .
Perhaps by the next year …
You are correct - Life goes on …
CHEERS to you !!

Jim said:

Yeah, my avm is very small (micro avm) but it is located in a very tricky location. Because of its size and location, surgery was not an option. They tried to embolize it - but it is so small and so deep - the outcome would have been unpredictable (read: hazardous). So, thankfully, they decided radio surgery was the final and best option.

The doctors have been amazing and seem very confident that it will be obliterated without further complications. The treatment takes up to three years and I am at year one - it may take a bit longer than a year - it may take a lot longer than a year. Life goes on.

Jamie Pantelis said:
I was hoping that for you too, but everything I read about gamma says it takes time to obliterate it. I would be climbing the walls if it were me! I am still confused how they determine surgery or gamma. I know it has to do with size and location, but what else. Is it also doctor to doctor?