Just few questions about recent discovery, please answer these so I dont worry

The medical records I just got from St. Josephs says that Findings from the MR Report is that “Corresponding to the previously identified AVM from outside images, and recently performed endovascular procedure, the appearance of the left frontal vascular malformation is relatively unchanged. The nidus measures approximately 3.3 cm in greatest dimensions, which is in the craniocaudal dimension. There are no identifiable intra nidal aneurysms”. This means 3.3cm is the size of my AVM right? also seeing no aneurysms is a good thing right? I also read something about superficial and deep drainage, which I dont know if thats really bad? And also something says that “review with Dr. Robert Spetzler, who recommended that no neurosurgical intervention was indicated at this time”.

Please answer these, I will greatly appreciate it.

Hi Farshad,

It sounds very positive to me, too. I would ask your doctor to go over the results line by line with you. It sounds like you may be in the same boat as my husband (you can look him up on the members page–last name Verstraete), who had an endovascular embolization without follow-up surgery. Three years later, he’s still doing fine!

Jorie

But they didnt do the embolization on me, atleast not that I know of…My mom basically tells me that Spetzler said that there is no need for any surgery, etc…So the quotes I put here sound positive and I shouldnt depress myself about anything? I also havent had any symptoms like bad headaches, vision loss, etc.

JH said:

Hi Farshad,

It sounds very positive to me, too. I would ask your doctor to go over the results line by line with you. It sounds like you may be in the same boat as my husband (you can look him up on the members page–last name Verstraete), who had an endovascular embolization without follow-up surgery. Three years later, he’s still doing fine!

Jorie

Farshad, You really need to go back to the doctor with your parent/parents and ask the questions to him. He needs to explain to you WHY he is not recommending any intervention at this time and you need to understand your condition more. It is your brain and your life and you deserve some answers that we can’t really give you.
My son is 19, and he knows all the details of his condition and the possibilities that go with having his AVM and many of the details were not easy for him to hear. He chose the treatment that he would have but we helped him thru it all. First we educated ourselves as much as we could.
I think you should learn as much as you can about AVM’s and then go back with a list of questions and get some answers. It won’t be easy but you are obviously going to worry about this until you understand it better.
I think “endovascular procedure” probably means the MRA with dye that you would have had done for diagnosis and “no aneurysms” is a good thing but many AVM’s don’t have aneurysms. Take care.

I’m no neurosurgeon, but no aneurysms sounds like a good thing. Write down all questions and make sure you understand fully what’s going on. In the Resources tab are some good articles about AVMs in general.