Location of AVM

How many of you have had your child’s AVM located deep within the cerebellum/medulla area? We know that we will be making decisions depending on what the doctor tells us after the diagnostic angiogram. We want to be as aware of all the outcomes possible.

Mine were about at the top of my brain stem in the middle I think in the thalamus area. I was diagnosed when I was 17 and had two gamma knife surgeries, after which new veins grew around the cauterized ones. Not without symptoms though, I’m left handed now, not right, and my left eye still doesn’t move correctly. If you want, I might be able to email you a copy of my latest MRI and you could see the general area, as I still have one. Some parts of the brain have been designed to do amazing things :slight_smile:

We have a child with an AVM right next to the brainstem? Let me know what you want to know I have a wealth of research done by myself with my son also hitting some of the rare percentages of the worst case.

I actually had a bad car accident and mine were discovered incedentally because my right leg reflexes were bad. The day I was driven home from Mayo complete double vision started but my brain adapted some and now it’s only in a few directions. And I don’t know that my right hand was working really well before gamma knife, but the left one took over afterwords. And I would say that my first gamma knife was very successful, in that I’m still alive. The doctors seemed pretty sure I wouldn’t be by now beforehand, and continue to be surprised whenever I tell them what I’m up too. I live in Taiwan now, with my husband, serving as missionaries and playing ultimate frisbee and biking a lot when I’m not pregnant. The important thing to remember is that, no matter how smart doctors are, and no matter how big and scary your child’s avm is, God is in charge of life and death. And with Him, death is eternal life. Knowing you could die at any time is a little daunting, but with God all things (even uncertain lives) are possible. (Mark 10:27)

Barb vareka said:

Hi Samandra, How did you discover yours? Did it bleed? Did your symptoms of becoming left handed and not seeing correctly out of your eye come from the new vein growth or the actual gamma knife? Was your first one successful until of course the veins grew? I don’t think you need to send the MRI, I am getting good at locating parts of the brain!!!

Samandra Moore said:
Mine were about at the top of my brain stem in the middle I think in the thalamus area. I was diagnosed when I was 17 and had two gamma knife surgeries, after which new veins grew around the cauterized ones. Not without symptoms though, I’m left handed now, not right, and my left eye still doesn’t move correctly. If you want, I might be able to email you a copy of my latest MRI and you could see the general area, as I still have one. Some parts of the brain have been designed to do amazing things :slight_smile: