Motivation....?!

I had my avm caused stroke on christmas day 2005, I am now living semi independently, out of hospital but my physio and carer have introduced a 7 day a week rehab program that I’m struggling to believe will help me in the long run. Thoughts?

The brain is so much more changeable than doctors used to think. If you get the right kind of physical training, and if it’s intensive, then different parts of your brain can be taught to take over for the parts that aren’t doing what they used to. There’s a lot more room for improvement than we used to think, even a few years after a stroke.

what’s going through my head given that I have chronic fatigue is that I’m worried it might be a lot of hard work for no reward

JH said:

The brain is so much more changeable than doctors used to think. If you get the right kind of physical training, and if it’s intensive, then different parts of your brain can be taught to take over for the parts that aren’t doing what they used to. There’s a lot more room for improvement than we used to think, even a few years after a stroke.

I know what you mean. Physical therapy days are complete wipeouts for me, mentally and physically. But my thinking is that even after I stop seeing results, I should keep going on in case I’m just at a plateau that I can get over. I don’t want to look back later and wonder if I could have made things easier on myself now by working harder at therapy then. The earlier you try this, the better chance it has of working. I’d say give it a try now if you can clear out the time for it, but make sure your doctors have a plan to watch you closely to see if there’s improvement, and that they change the program if there isn’t, so your time won’t be wasted.

Thanks for that constructive answer, here’s the thing. My stroke left me with chronic fatigue (f*cking chronic fatigue as I like to think of it) so I never feel any better, so I feel like I plateaued well over a year ago. My ultimate goal is to walk independently again so the problem I’m having is setting short term goals, so far I’ve been timing assisted walks (of various distances) and my times have improved but what use towards independent walking is faster assisted walking? Can anyone help?

JH said:

I know what you mean. Physical therapy days are complete wipeouts for me, mentally and physically. But my thinking is that even after I stop seeing results, I should keep going on in case I’m just at a plateau that I can get over. I don’t want to look back later and wonder if I could have made things easier on myself now by working harder at therapy then. The earlier you try this, the better chance it has of working. I’d say give it a try now if you can clear out the time for it, but make sure your doctors have a plan to watch you closely to see if there’s improvement, and that they change the program if there isn’t, so your time won’t be wasted.