My Update - Dural AVF Embolization

John,

Thank you! I really need to get into a new mindset. I feel like I only half believe the doc at the moment, so I really need to get into the fully believing space. He said he could see no physiological reason why I would still be dizzy, so it has to be in the mind rather than the vasculature. So… I’m going to go for it.

• Get comfortable post angio.
  • Then have a sensible return to life as normal, with a positive attitude.

He did say it was quite a big fistula, in terms of the amount of blood being diverted, and if these things are aboriginal, congenital, then the top of my head (where I feel dizzy) may never have had the level of blood pressure other people are used to, or it may have decayed very slowly over the last 50 years and I’ve got used to a much lower pressure.

My dad went to the dentist some years ago and the dentist told him, either cough up several thousand pounds to get his teeth fixed properly, or take the lot out. Dad has had a “plate” since a motorbike accident as a young man, so opted for “all out” and some new plastic choppers. The funny thing was that when he had them fitted (a) he looked like Wallace out of Wallace & Gromit and (b) they were “too tall” – he felt as though there was too much plastic in his mouth: his jaw was being held open! Rather than pay the dentist to make a shorter set of teeth, he had a go at them with a file. Much cheaper.

When he told the dentist, or had a review of how he was getting on with them, the dentist laughed. “Actually, they were the right height but you’ve got used to a plate that was made decades ago and has worn down significantly over time, so the teeth in your old plate were much too short!” I assume it is the same with me. I’ve got a bit of “getting used to” to do.

Hope this cheers your day, too! It is great news!

Richard