Need book ideas!

I love to read, and I know there are some great books out there, whether it be spiritual, motivational, or just some good novels that may shed some light on me- I just don’t know what to look for. So, what have you guys read that you can reccommend?

The Five People You Meet In Heaven is AMAZING. Its by Mitch Ablum i think, not sure I spelled the name right, I give it as gifts to people I love who havent seen the movie or read the book every Christmas. Its not sad as you would expect, very uplifting infact, and I wont give anymore away :slight_smile:

I also love reading. I definitely agree with Jo about Mitch Albom’s (?spelling) book. I found it just beautiful!
Also just finished Danny Scheinmann’s Random Acts of Heroic Love - excellent!
Maybe we need to start a book group?! :wink:

Soili

I also enjoy Mitch Albom’s books. I LOVE Noah Spark’s books, such as THE NOTEBOOK, THE WEDDING, MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE, etc. Then there is the HARRY POTTER series, of course. If you’ve only seen the movies, the books are 100 times better!

Are you there vodka…its me chelsea

That’s so funny that you mention the Cheslea Handler book- just saw it earlier and I love her!!! I will have to read it! I have read all of the Sparks books, but will find THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN- sounds good- thanks for all of the input!!!

I absolutely love The 5 People You Meet in Heaven also ! Great book, the movie was terrible though and wouldn’t recommend it.

Enjoy !

– Shana –

I haven’t actually read this book (except a few pages I snuck in the hospital gift shop) but it looks like a funny book and once I get through being in the hospital, might pick it up. Its about a lady who had a stroke/hemmorage, but it looks relatable and humorous about hospitals and such. Its called Don’t Leave Me This Way: Or When I Get Back on My Feet You’ll Be Sorry by Julia Fox Garrison.

Link spam to a review: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&amp…

I also hear that the Last Lecture by Randy Pausch has terrific reviews but I am not sure if I am ready to read it yet. It has been in the news alot lately, and the author has terminal cancer, but it is supposed to be very inspirational.

Okay, you are either going to love or hate these suggestions, but here we go. I L-O-V-E Allison DuBouis, she is a medium (psychic), I’m not one to read, really, but finished her trillogy in no time. I actually started them after someone very close to me passed away, it helped heal my heart a lot quicker (she still believes in God, and it isn’t creepy at all). There is also a show called “Medium” based off her life story. I also enjoy reading Jenny McCarthy (sp) books, she is another down to earth famous person who turned out to be a good writer. She writes about her autistic son, her divorce, and life story, and makes you laugh the entire way through. I heard Eat,Love,Pray is good too, I got it as a gift for Christmas, but haven’t started it yet because I’m in the middle of Escape by Carolyn Jessup (also a good book… about her life). Woah… wouldn’t believe I’m not much of a reader would ya? Hope ya find a good one… let us know what you decide, and how the book turns out.

Hi Sarah, I am glad you asked. I´ve been reading a book that is helping me to deal with all this avm story.

Title: The power of positive thinking
Author: Norman Vicent Peale

I would also recommend any Rosamunde Pilcher book.

Here are a couple:

The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama
It’s Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong

Jill S also put up a good book to real about 14/05
My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor

I’m also gonna have a look as my night time reading is sometimes to trashy Doh!

Secret life of bees - Sue Monk Kidd
If the buddha dated - Charlotte Davis Kasl
Shake hands with the devil - Romeo Dallaire
Healing the shame that binds you - john bradshaw
Anything written by Pema Chodron (my favorite author), ‘comfortable with uncertainty’ is probably my favorite though.
Peace is the Way - Deepak Chopra
Skeletons at the feast - Chris Bohjalian

good suggestions! I personally loved both of those books.

I just picked up My Stroke of Insight as well, by Jill Bolte Taylor, it talks about her stroke/bleed, avm, craniotomy and recovery.

hey Jo I just ordered this book to read so I’ll let you know how i got on.

thank u for all of the book ideas- i have a stack with me to read!!!

I’ll be a bit shallow (I love a good detective novel). Any book by Lee Child is great! If you like those kinds of stories, you’ll be kept busy.