New here and looking for answers ~ is this AVM?

Hi all! Not sure I am even in the right place but seeking info online and not finding any ~ I have many symptoms of chiari 1 malformation (my son has it) I had an MRI today and really expected they would see it. I was surpised when they said I dont have it actually. Doc added though that I have an “artery in an unusual location” and not a big deal and nothing to worry over but is sending me to neurologist. Said that nothing to get worked up about. So my BFF works for a neurologist. She is just an LPN so not highly experienced by any means. I asked her if she heard of an artery being in wrong place as an anomaly and she said all she has heard of is AVM. I have head aches in back right side of head. Which ironically is where it is located. Nurse at docs office assured me there is no connection. What do you think? I know you all here cant dx me but just curious what you think… Kind of baffled. I have my MRI DVD but not sure what to look for to see for myself, lol TX so much!! Robin ~

Hello Robin .
I hope that you will bring all of those medical records with you when you get your second opinion , and I also hope you get that set up soon .
I hope you get your answers to your satisfaction .
You are most worthy of your efforts and the efforts of those who can assist you .
Be good to you . Take care of you .

Thank you so much! Its just so scary because my SIL is also an RN and works for a perinatal doc and I aked her the same question and she said AVM too ~ sigh… I dont want to worry if it isnt but if it is why would doc be so non shalant about it? Or is it rare where he isnt aware of the seriousness or did radioligist who read MRI not give a DX to let doc know it ~… TX for letting me vent!! TX so much for your kind words too!! hugs Robin ~

marianne elizondo said:

Hello Robin .
I hope that you will bring all of those medical records with you when you get your second opinion , and I also hope you get that set up soon .
I hope you get your answers to your satisfaction .
You are most worthy of your efforts and the efforts of those who can assist you .
Be good to you . Take care of you .

Robin
Good Doctors are harder to find then a good auto repair places,and we all know how hard they are to find.Most of us on this site have learned not to lesson to one person,nurse,or one doctor when it come to our information. Always get a second opinion and make sure the opinions that you do get are from a qualified source . Keep asking questions and reading ,there are a lot of people on this site that will help in ways that you can’t find anywhere else. The more you ask the more they will help,the more you tell the more they can help, like symptoms,what area your from ,what hospital,what doctors you have seen, nothing to personal just basic facts. Take a look here maybe it will help
http://www.avmsurvivors.org/profiles/blog/list?q=chiari+1+malformation have faith Gordon

Hi Robin and Welcome,

I’m surprised others have not mentioned this: When our daughter was taking anatomy to become an Occupational Therapist, she said one of the hardest things to process was “the book” showed where all the blood vessels, nerves, and muscles were, but while working with cadavers, they were often not where they were supposed to be, or there would two when there was supposed to be one, etc.

I’m not familiar with what you described, so I can’t comment on that. Talk with the neuro and see what they say.

Best wishes,
Ron, KS