Nightmares

In the last week or so I have been having nightmares. They usually involve some part of me becoming paralysed. Then when I wake up in the morning I feel really dopey with a headache and my legs ache. Does anyone else have this happen. Could I be having a partial seizure in the night and that triggers the nightmare or is it the other way round. Or am I just plain and simply nuts.

John wouldn’t it be cool if we could write all the “stuff” off as being “simply nuts” ? Plain truth is everyone’s answers lie within their own individual brain-work so I must ask the question , did you talk this over with your physicians ? These episodes could be anything including a reaction to medication(s) , stress ( heard that one before ?) , anatomical changes after treatments , including but not limted to blood flow and a myriad of other changes OR are you only having plain old-fashined nightmare because you are scared ? Any sleep disruption will cause us to be tired and malfunctioning on levels from cognitive function to …whatever . I know you have had an unremarkable EEG and that is frustrating but you could try again . Your physicians(s) may find that to be warranted if you inquire of them what their opinion is on the nightmare issue . How is your blood pressure these days ? Have you had a plain old physical from your family physician ? What about your vision , no changes of late ? Do not laugh when I ask this question ( O.K. laugh , it’s good to laugh !!) how are your hormones ? Note any changes in regard to hormone “stuff” ? Yes John men have hormones , ask Mayrne , she’ll tell you .
I am one of those who do not dream anymore and the neuros couldn’t throw me into a seizure when they tried so I am always surprised when I am awakened by unpleasant “thoughts” about strange goings on , usually only happens when I sleep with the bedroom door closed . I keep the door open , no issues arise .
Seizures are tricky and must be dealt with if that is causing your issue but you know that . One physician explained to be that if your finger twitches without you telling it to-that is a seizure…no worries unless the electrical interuptions cause a power-outage or the blender turns on when you hit the light switch . Hmmm…
John You might be facing your biggest fear with the nightmares of paralysis , and that alone is a lot to contend with . Please go find your answers , you need your rest and you deserve some peace in your mind .
I must tell you that I admire your courage here and I share this thought ; It could be that a bit of " plain and simply nuts " may well keep us from going insane…
Be good to you . Take care of you .
You and Mayrne are in my prayers .

As far as the doctors have found I am in perfect health. Good BP etc. Mayme says my hormones are fine, she has not had to fit me for a bra yet( she is a certified bra fitter ) Probably all that is going on medically with our family is not helping things. On top of Mine and Maymes medical issues, we got a call last night that Mayme`s mom had been taken to hospital with a suspected tumour near her uterus. STRESS yes I have heard about that, funny how I now have lots of it once the doctors tell me all my symptoms are a result of it.

Hi John,

I do not have the experience, but post traumatic stress disorder can cause vivid nightmare and God knows AVMs are stressful. I had a psychologist in rehab that went over PTSD and he told me it can happen weeks, months or yrs post trauma, and that the earlier you treat it, the better. He assessed my coping skills, didn’t think i’d have an issue, but told me what to look for and to know that it’s highly treatable and if i had issues, to ‘nip it in the bud’ right away. if that’s involved, the key thing is it is highly treatable but many people wait a long time to get it evaluated and treated.

Sleep is really important for recharging and reducing stress, so it sounds too simple, but they suggest listening to soothing music rather than news/online surfing before bed to get improve sleep. watching the news or online browsing are bad for sleep. You can get an overnight sleep study that might help you figure it out if its a chronic thing. Just some thoughts. best of luck!

Yep…you’re plain and simply nuts! :wink: No, actually, we tend to work through a lot of problems in our dreams, especially those things that we are afraid of, or worry will happen to us, or traumatic things that have happened to us in the past. It makes sense that you would have nightmares about being paralyzed, because one of the worst case scenarios of having a hemorrhage is to become paralyzed. And I’m sure you have read numerous accounts on this website of people waking up from AVM ruptures with no ability to move their arms and/or legs on their own. That could certainly put that frightening idea into your subconscious. It could be possible that you are contracting your leg muscles as you dream about trying to move your legs. That could account for your legs aching in the morning. You could also be clenching your teeth as you struggle to make your legs work, which could certainly cause you to have headaches when you wake up…just ask anyone with a bad case of TMJ from clenching or grinding their teeth. And of course, sleep deprivation can make anyone a little spacy…I certainly am these days. Or maybe I’m plain and simply nuts. :slight_smile:

john,
your not crazy,
before i had my surgery i had a reoccurring nightmare of waking up from surgery and not being able to move or walk or talk…i think it is our minds way of trying to let go of some of the stressess, worries and fears we constantly play over in our minds day after day…the scariest thing was my dream came true…but i have relearnt to walk and talk again …and only the other week i had a dream that my arm and hand were working again …so fingers crossed that dream comes true too…but seriously…i do believe it is just your sub- concious…this is one of your fears am i right?

Well…1) If you have had a AVM, then no, you are not plain and I am sure the doctors find you rather interesting…as for 2) Aren’t all men nuts?

I can’t help but to wonder if the legs and headache are where you might be fighting against the dream…stuggling with the fear of becoming paralysed. Not sure where you AVM was located…however, mine is in the left temporal lobe of brain…and one thing I have had to learn over the past 24 years is to try to control my stress and fears (although it is hard to do at times). Odd, I don’t fear my AVM, but I do fear other things.

If you would like to talk about it or ask questions, etc…just let me know. Trust me, after 24 years and still being treated no question would surprise me. Oh and if this site has a way for e-mails, feel free. I don’t mind at all.

I think you are right Julie on number 2 lol. My AVM is in the right front temporal lobe. I have found that I have to work on my stress levels, the more I get stressed the more frustrated I get and the symptoms get worse.

Not surprised. However, I think it would be a really good idea to keep notes (journal/diary) or whatever they call it now-a-days. And don’t just write down the days activities (although that is a good thing to keep track of), but include you inner being. What you feel like physically, emotionally, the entire nine yards. Oh sure, the doctors can give us advice and they can fight the fight physically, but they can not fight your emotional strugle or your fear. And always remember, to us, the little things that might take place…could mean something big for us.

John Scragg said:

I think you are right Julie on number 2 lol. My AVM is in the right front temporal lobe. I have found that I have to work on my stress levels, the more I get stressed the more frustrated I get and the symptoms get worse.

Julie, There is a way to send private messages to someone, but you have to be “friends” with the person first.

Julie Dail said:

Well…1) If you have had a AVM, then no, you are not plain and I am sure the doctors find you rather interesting…as for 2) Aren’t all men nuts?

I can’t help but to wonder if the legs and headache are where you might be fighting against the dream…stuggling with the fear of becoming paralysed. Not sure where you AVM was located…however, mine is in the left temporal lobe of brain…and one thing I have had to learn over the past 24 years is to try to control my stress and fears (although it is hard to do at times). Odd, I don’t fear my AVM, but I do fear other things.

If you would like to talk about it or ask questions, etc…just let me know. Trust me, after 24 years and still being treated no question would surprise me. Oh and if this site has a way for e-mails, feel free. I don’t mind at all.