Numbness of the face

My dad has gotten embollizations two times in early 2008 and a craniotomy on June 9, 2008 on his right side of the head, behind his right ear. It has been six months now with headaches/tingling feeling here and there. We were told that this was part of the healing process. Now in the last month, he has been experiencing numbness on the right side of his face, near and in his right ear, and also, the pulsating of his heartbeat in his ear. But no numbness anywhere else on his body. (we had originally thought of stroke but stroke symptoms occur on the whole side of his body and he doesn’t have that). Has ayone experienced this kind of pain? He has a check up appointment Dec 8th with Dr.Liebman in now New Jersey, but until then, we would like to know if anyone has experience this before. Much feedback would be appreciated!

Hi Michelle,I had tha gamma a year ago,no embollization,but the heatbeat sound in ear,all the time,most every day for almost six months now,plus sometimestingling on my face under my eyes,Ive also started with seeing sparkles in my vision,most every day,only lasts a few seconds but now is very day,Doc said its all normal,not sure what to think of Florida docs these days,but after one year of gamma,there has been no change at all to my avm,if you find out about the heartbeat sound in ear,I would love to know why,Hope your dad gets better very soon,Caroline

Hello Michelle. I can’t recall the medical term for the "heart beat " in our ears, but there is one. I used to feel it pulsating in my ears and head and neck as well…disconcerting. Now happens only if I am stressed, tired, laying down or if the weather changes. HMMM…My avm was right side also and healing is tricky. Pain of/in tissue transfered by nerves all over the area. Healing from the craniotomy is different in scope and time for all of us, but I was told every time I called my neuro(does dad call his neuro?) and at every appointment that the first year is, well, all bets were off. My right ear and the bones of the ear and my jaw can be sensitive and painful. I can not lay on the right side od my head. More often it is the left side of my face that tingles, itches and becomes numb. I believe the right side of my face had had enough and went on strike years ago. Still get the reminder from skull, via tingling, crawling searing hot sensation on and around the mended surgical site that, yes, I was cracked open like an egg and reassembled. And, the clips that hold it all together, inside and atop are a joy forever-a new rout of sensatio every time one is touched, bumped or hit(grand-children!!).
If your father has talked with his neuro(s) and his blood pressure is stable, blood levels are within normal parameters and there is no infection, these occurances are probably tha after affects of the shock and trauma he has been through. Healing is a lot of work, all those cells on double time and new pathways forming and nerves that are overloaded sharing and everything finding new routes to, through and around this area and that area…Pepairing and maintanance of a brain and body is a lot of intricate work.
And always I believe, if the patient is uncomfortable, she or he should always call their physician and have a look see. That is their job…I hope all goes well at the “check-up” appointment. You are all in my prayers. Be good to you. Take care of you-all of you !!

Michelle,

One year after gamma knife, I experienced numbness on the left side of my face. In my case, there was some swelling in the brain caused by side effects of the gamma radiation. My neurologist said it was expected but still needed to be treated immediately. He put me on prednisone for three months. The numbness is very, very minor but still around. See if you can’t move up your appointment with Dr. Liebman.

Ben

Michelle, the sound of hearing your heartbeat is called a “bruit” and many of us have that symptom. As for the facial numbness…I get it on the left side of my face becausese my AVM is located in the RIGHT parietal lobe of my brain. I haven’t had any embolizations or craniotomies, but your father’s symptoms sound like normal AVM symptoms. I would reallly appreciate it if you would share Dr. Liebman’s feelings about your dad. Thank you!

Connie

Thanks for responding Caroline. We will definitely let you know what Dr. Liebman says next week.

Caroline said:

Hi Michelle,I had tha gamma a year ago,no embollization,but the heatbeat sound in ear,all the time,most every day for almost six months now,plus sometimestingling on my face under my eyes,Ive also started with seeing sparkles in my vision,most every day,only lasts a few seconds but now is very day,Doc said its all normal,not sure what to think of Florida docs these days,but after one year of gamma,there has been no change at all to my avm,if you find out about the heartbeat sound in ear,I would love to know why,Hope your dad gets better very soon,Caroline

Connie - Oh wow. Everyone has different side effects of the AVM. We will find out next Tuesday what the cause is hopefully.

Connie T said:

Michelle, the sound of hearing your heartbeat is called a “bruit” and many of us have that symptom. As for the facial numbness…I get it on the left side of my face becausese my AVM is located in the RIGHT parietal lobe of my brain. I haven’t had any embolizations or craniotomies, but your father’s symptoms sound like normal AVM symptoms. I would reallly appreciate it if you would share Dr. Liebman’s feelings about your dad. Thank you!

Connie

Ben - thanks for the quick response. We have tried to move up his appointment. Dr. Liebman is extremely busy since transferring from Jefferson to Capital Health Hospital. My dad does not feel like he’s in immediate danger. So he’ll wait one more week. Obviously, if his symptoms get worse, we’ll go to the ER. Thanks for kindness.

Ben Munoz said:

Michelle,

One year after gamma knife, I experienced numbness on the left side of my face. In my case, there was some swelling in the brain caused by side effects of the gamma radiation. My neurologist said it was expected but still needed to be treated immediately. He put me on prednisone for three months. The numbness is very, very minor but still around. See if you can’t move up your appointment with Dr. Liebman.

Ben