Pain for How Long?

good afternoon! I had a crainiotomy on 5/3/10 for my AVM and came home from the hospital on thursday on thursday, May 6, 2010. I will get the staples out next Thursday. I am in quite a bit of pain and wondered if anyone could give me some advice on how long to anticiapte feeling such a high level of pain? thanks!

Hello Brooke,
My husband had a craniotomy 9/30/08, he was in very bad pain for quite a while until they switched his pain med. Actually the pain med that he was discharged with was not working at all. They switched it and then he was much better. Also he did sleep and rested constantly for a good month before he really felt much better. Granted he was 52 so that was difficult too. Not that that is old, it’s just I think not having youth on his side did make it a bit worse to get over. I hope and pray you feel better soon.
Blessings!
Marie

I had a craniotomy on 11/7/09. I was in the hospital 2 weeks so they were giving me morphine the first week…My head hurt pretty bad for about 3-4 weeks after getting out the hospital. I felt horrible (weak and tired) until they took me off the seizure meds (Keppra 500mg). I still wake up every morning with a headache…I read tension headaches are a side effect of craniotomies. The headache is nowhere near the incision…it’s in the back of my head. My doc put me on Fioricet…it works great. It has caffeine in it so it also gives u a little energy too. I also realized if i don’t take the painkiller first thing in the morning the headache gets a lot worse and then when I do take it, it doesnt work as well. Good Luck!

I was also in the hospital for 2 weeks and they kept me comfortable (surgery Jan. 21 2010) After I left I was having issues controling the pain and to be honest my docs weren’t all that helpful. I would say I had bad pain for 2.5 weeks after leaving the hospital and achey for the next month. Now my nerves are growning back in my face and it feels like baby pinches and at times like I have bugs crawling on me. It started out on my head (like on the inside, but I was told it was the membrane covering my brain because your brain doesn’t have any nerves). Every now and then I have a headache, but nothing that a couple Tylenol can’t help. I hope you aer able to control your pain until it goes away all together. Wishing you a safe and speedy recovery.

Brooke,
Im so glad you found this site, Im in New Orleans too and had a crainiotomy on April 2nd. Although i decided to have my surgery at Mass General in Boston, Im back living in New Orleans and dealing with a lot of recovery issues, including some pain and a lot of fatigue. We should try to get together since we live in the same city! I will send you an e-mail with my contact info!