Perscription pain meds vs OTC meds

Hello all,

I'm trying to slowly taper off of my perscription meds (hydrocodone). I was wondering if anyone knew anything about ALEVE and if it's ok to take. I've been told that some meds have blood thinning agents which aren't good for those of us with AVM's so I appreciate any and all help/recommendations you can give.

Thanks.

I don’t know whether it has blood thinning agents or anything like that but I do know that Aleve is the only over the counter pain killer that helps my headaches at all. Nothing else works. I’ve taken it many time with no side effects.

Thanks Mary Kate for your response. Much appreciated.

mary kate said:

I don’t know whether it has blood thinning agents or anything like that but I do know that Aleve is the only over the counter pain killer that helps my headaches at all. Nothing else works. I’ve taken it many time with no side effects.

Thanks Jason for your response. I wish you the best with your journey.

Jason Eppert said:

I was on blood thinners for 6 months after my last embolzation because I ended up with blood clots in my lungs so I don’t think that blood thinning agents are bad for us. The only bad thing would be if we had a bleed or needed surgery. I still take percocets for my headaches, not sure what’s in them, don’t really care because they seem to be the only thing that works for me.

I remember reading an article about Aleve and how it increases the risk of stroke. I couldn’t find the exacgt article, but found this little bit on drugs.com. Long story short ask your doc if it’s ok.

http://www.drugs.com/aleve.html