Personality change? Laugh more?

I was just curious as to whether anyone emerged from this experience (craniotomy or gamma knife) differently. Not really your outlook on life/religion/spirituality- but rather any obvious personality changes? I know I have changed in this way- and I laugh so much more then I ever use too. Anyone else?

Hi Georgia, Not really still as loopy as I have always been. No change ;) However my AVM is located in the personality area of my brain. No imaginary friends as of yet. lol who knows maybe I will become a celebrity one day..

My almost 10 year old daughter, Faith, has shown a "personality? change" since her bleed about 3 1/2 weeks ago. She goes through some somewhat control-less "giggle periods", freely expressing a "high" of stress free joy.
At first (in the hospital) I thought it was just a reaction to medications, and then when there were no medications I thought that it was just a "relief" reaction to being home and feeling better (no pain), and then I started noticing that these occurrences happen at irregular times without some "motivating" situation (like resting in quiet without any stimulus, tv, or conversation...) and continues for a short period as if influenced by cannabis or something...!
Of course it was wonderful to hear at first, but with my worrisome motherly ways, I am sensing that it is a physical change due to the bleed and the avm condition... I have heard that some people that have experienced a typical stroke also show signs of positively altered "attitudes".
Anyone?!

I think it may depend a lot on where in the brain the damage is. For me I actually cry less. That's not a bad thing. Pre-bleed I could cry watching a commercial. I'm also less able to keep opinions to myself. I'm brutally honest sometimes.

Don't laugh more, always had good humor. Different though, can't put my finger on it.

Hi Faith's mom,

My husband had a lot of unfortunate personality changes after his surgery, but he also started making puns, whereas he rarely made jokes before. Faith may just have a different view on the world where things she thinks or remember seem funny to her.

I like to err on the side of caution, so I'd describe the situation to her neurologist just as you described it here. Especially if you're not sure that she's laughing AT something. Remember that the brain is in a state of inflammation after a bleed, so it's possible she's got a little pressure or extra activity going on in a spot that triggers giggling, and a neurologist would want to look into that to be sure the swelling's going down over time and there's no risk of seizure activity. Some people laugh under stress, so it's possible she's got some worries she needs to talk out with someone who's an expert in brain injury, like a neuropsychologist.

I hope I haven't added to your worries; I wish my husband and I had known to jump on personality change issues a lot sooner, when it's easier to sort out what's what and do something about the changes that are troublesome.

Beyond concrete memories of people and events, there isn't much I remember about my life prior to the AVM as I was only 9 when it ruptured. But according to my parents, I came out of the coma with the same bubbly personality I'd had before. Due to the severity of my trauma (I suffered a massive stroke 2 days after the emergency craniotomy), it's kind of amazing that my personality wasn't affected. I do have significant anxiety, but I also have a family history of anxiety and went through puberty not long after the whole ordeal so its impossible to know what was caused by the brain trauma and what might have been there all along but hadn't shown up yet.