Positive thinking tips needed

Hi All,

As this is my first post in this forum I would like to introduce myself. My name is Elizabeth and I live in Brisbane Australia. I experienced a bleed from an AVM in my cerebellum last year and am currently awaiting Steretactic Radiosurgery. I am quite paranoid and over-analysing by nature so therefore I constantly freak out about having another bleed before it gets obliterated and I get so scared every time I feel anything in my head, even if it's not painful. Does anyone have any advice on calming the nerves and not feeling so terrified all the time?

Liz

Hi Liz I Know exactly what you are going throw, keep busy doing thing you enjoy (and are able to do) I found doing the thing I could and enjoyed keep the mind distracted. There is hope but is a long road… Keep the sprits up and keep family and friends close that don’t let you dwell on it and don’t let it run your life. make planes even if it is a day out and get distracted in them it brakes it up and before you know it you are s step closer to the end. Oh and yes STRS works

Hi LB. With any surgery (or prospect of) our emotions do run wild. With AVMs and aneurysms, my better half Jenny, and I, discovered very early in the piece that meeting with and chatting to other AVMers was an incredible help. Like snowflakes, no two AVms are the same - there are soooo many factors that determine what , if any, deficits may occur. As each of us is different too, it wouldn’t do you or your partner any harm to browse through some of the other blogs and discussions on this site. Me being me, I ignore the rare ‘doom and gloom’ merchants that sometimes write in here - but I do empathise with them - we all need to vent sometimes. Stay positive, and strong, my friend. Tony

Hi Liz, I know what you are going though, I am having a cani operation on the 30th so I am just sitting back thinking and waiting. It is starting to creep up on me now.

The only things that have helped me to cope with the nerves, feelings of being so scared and feeling like a walking time bomb is

1) Meditation, I don't know what your belief's are but I am into the spiritual side of things so find that if I meditate and do a bit of Rieki it seems to help me heaps

2) Coming on to this site and talking with others, or reading their blogs etc and seeing if I can help them with anything. There are some really great and giving people on this site, willing to help any body with anything they need to know.

That has helped me heaps. I will soon be meeting with a few of these people (fellow AVMers) and find that I am looking forward to it, normally I wouldn't as I am pretty shy.

Stay strong and take care

DM

HI Liz,

Well, there are no promises as you well know. As we headed into our AVM journey and treatment, we got our affairs in order (Updated wills, confirmed guardians for our young kids, etc) since we would both be traveling 1800 miles for the treatment multiple times.

We didn’t seek counseling until after many of the procedures, but we found a Christian counselor we’d known 20 yrs previously (when he lost his wife to cancer). We knew that he had the professional experience and gosh, could he ever relate after losing a spouse!

Facing AVM treatment is a potentially life altering experience. Lots of emotions for everyone involved. All of us, kids included, found it helpful to speak with him over multiple sessions. He was able to help quantify our emotions, and re-assure us it was normal. I would encourage you and those close to you to go to counseling.

I would also encourage you to do something fun as often as you can and you can physically accomplish it. A long time ago, I read a quote in one of the Chicken Soup of the Soul books that said “If you found out you only had an hour to live, who would you call, what would you say… and what are you waiting for?” None of us, AVM or not, has unlimited time here, so we should do those things that are important to us.

Oh, have you looked at the members’ page? If you type in Brisbane under Advanced Search, there are 15 other AVMers listed!

I hope this helps you some. Best wishes,

Ron, KS

ti liz,yes its the waitingand the and the bad and scary thoughts that really get to you,i was ready for surgey and stopped just before i left my ward as they had no icu bed for me,so i waited three weeks then had my crani,everyone different music was my best way off chilling out but as you know you cant do it 247,stay strong my friend,ps i swim and go to the sauna and spa it helps you relax.all the best shane crotty

Try a meteronome(the device piano players use) I find it very relaxing since my bleed and there is a lot of scientific evidence to support the ways in which it helps the brain process. Plus the clicking is very relaxing!

Good Luck

Nicole