Post Gamma knife

Hi everyone
I just had my gamma knife procedure and was wondering if anyone has experienced not being able to stay awake, I get home from work ( light duty after surgery ) and I am just beat. Last night I was actually falling asleep eating my supper. Also my head was throbbing this morning in the cold, even wearing a knitted hat. is this normal?

Hi John,

I was very sleepy for a few weeks after I had GK, I mean exhausted.

My head doesn’t hurt to bad, but it does feel tight/pressure, especially when it is about to be cloudy or is cloudy.

You have to rest when you can. Your body needs the rest or that GK makes you so exhausted, you have to sleep. I repeat, my exhaustion only last for two weeks, some say theirs lasted longer.

I had my GK 7-22-09.

Peace,
Ameenah

John I think there a lot of differents . My gamma knife lasted about 40 mim and the next day I had embolization 8 hours later i whent to eat with my wife at a mexican place . Next day I drove home 709 miles . I drove! My wife is afraid to fly and I’m afraid to ride with her driving. lol Yes I had a little head ack but the trauma to the outside of my head hurt worse. Felt like the old day when some one was trying to put knots on my head . It took 20 day for the knots to go away . talk at you later Gordon

Hi John. I honestly can’t believe you are back to work already. Wow- I know everyone is different and others have done this but there is no way my son could have gone back to school or work for at least a few weeks after his Gamma. He slept for long periods of time and it was a really deep sleep. The first few days he was dizzy when he stood up for very long.
So I think you should take some time off if you can possibly do that and sleep. Let your brain rest, it obviously needs it and is trying to recover from the trauma. My thoughts are with you.

Wow John! Glad to hear that everything must have gone well. I don’t know specifically about gamma…but general anesthesia and everything that goes along with the trauma your body was put through, well it needs to heal. If you need to sleep, then sleep. I wouldn’t worry too much about it as it seems normal. I’m sure a quick email to your doc will tell you that your body just wants the rest. When I get back from my treatments each month, it takes about a week for me to have all of my energy back. And I am very tired and could sleep so easily (except for the steroids that turn me into insomniac girl!)
I hope your recovery continues to improve and go well.
Shalon

Yep I had my procedure on the Friday and was back at work on Monday. Luckily I have one of those jobs where I am on my own in an office, so I can catch a quick nap when I am on break ( Shhh dont tell the boss ) Hopefully I can catch up on resting over the christmas break and be at full strength for the new year. Just wish it was warmer, wind chills of 8 degrees does not make my head happy.

I’m glad you can work and rest :slight_smile:

Peace,
Ameenah

Hi John,
Congrats on doing the gamma. I did it too on Oct 28th. I was whacked afterward and I am usually very active; typically run 25 miles per week etc. I had to nap almost every day for 3 weeks and my head was so tender for about 6 weeks, it was very painful to touch even. I am now back up to my usual 25 miles and no longer needing naps. I supply teach so I booked myself as unavailable…sorry to hear you are back at work, even on light duties. Try to rest as much as possible. I think our bodies/brains need that to recover from the trauma.
Take care
Leeanne

My daughter was treated at the Gamma Knife center at Hoag hospital in Newport Beach, CA. I was told by one of the doctors that the side effects are directly related to the area being treated. I was concerned about hair loss but was told that none of my daughter’s AVMs were in areas that would result in hair loss. So far she has had no side effects. It is difficult to tell sometimes with a 6 yr old and I have been discovering that she is reluctant to tell me if she is having a headache because she hates the medicine but I haven’t seen any major changes in anything.

How long ago was your daughter treated? I am scheduled for Gamma Knife at Hoag on Dec. 29th. Where was hers located? I have asked if htese are hereditary and have been told rarely. I hope they are not, I have (2) sons and a grandchild on the way.

Christine said:

My daughter was treated at the Gamma Knife center at Hoag hospital in Newport Beach, CA. I was told by one of the doctors that the side effects are directly related to the area being treated. I was concerned about hair loss but was told that none of my daughter’s AVMs were in areas that would result in hair loss. So far she has had no side effects. It is difficult to tell sometimes with a 6 yr old and I have been discovering that she is reluctant to tell me if she is having a headache because she hates the medicine but I haven’t seen any major changes in anything.