Post surgery side effects

It is now been 3 months since I had my surgery (sept 2, 2010) for an AV fistula located in the frontal lobe (left side) of the brain. Surgery required a craniotomy. The area above my left eye is still a little sore (more numb) than anything (this is the area where the AV fistula was repaired). Met with neurosurgeon in early November. Results of cerebral angiography (Sept 27, 2010)indicated that surgery went well. Asked him about all the wild sensations that I was experiencing as a result of my surgery. Told me that the nerve endings take time to regenerate and this could take as long as six months, perhaps longer. Scheduled for another cerebral angiography in late February. Have head aches (not bad ones) sometimes before I go to bed at night which makes it difficult to get to sleep. Have had to take Tylenol more frequently that I would like. Area around incision is still a bit tender but is not painful. Has anyone out there experienced this? Is this typical after surgery.

Welcome!

I don’t think there is a “normal” recovery–no two people have the same side effects.

Chari’s incision was tender a long time, but also did not hurt. Hard to guess on the wild sensations; your brain is now getting more blood than before, or it might be residual from current meds or anesthesia during the surgery.

I suggest writing down all the symptoms and dates they occur. Then visit with your Dr about them the next appt.

Maybe relaxation tapes or exercises prior to bed?

Hope this helps.

Ron, KS

No two peoples’ symptoms/sensations are alike as it seems from what I’ve read. It seems like the spot that they cut out of my skull gets swollen at night before I go to bed and the shape of my skull seems to be changing around the craniotomy site (I really really hope this is “normal”…). The incision site seems to hurt more than anything and seems like it’s stretching as it heals and there is sometimes a creepy crawly sensation in my head that might be the nerves knitting back together. But I don’t know. Also there is a numb spot still on my head after almost 3 months.

My family asks me if I have bad headaches and I don’t usually, but just these weird things going on. Like where the AVM was is a dull pulsing ache, but not really pain.

What Nicole??? You don’t have the dreaded “creepy crawly sensation”–Oh My…

Just kidding. Chari had that too with her incision; I’d forgotten about it til you mentioned yours.

Ron, KS

Nicole R said:
No two peoples' symptoms/sensations are alike as it seems from what I've read. It seems like the spot that they cut out of my skull gets swollen at night before I go to bed and the shape of my skull seems to be changing around the craniotomy site (I really really hope this is "normal"...). The incision site seems to hurt more than anything and seems like it's stretching as it heals and there is sometimes a creepy crawly sensation in my head that might be the nerves knitting back together. But I don't know. Also there is a numb spot still on my head after almost 3 months.

My family asks me if I have bad headaches and I don't usually, but just these weird things going on. Like where the AVM was is a dull pulsing ache, but not really pain.

I wonder what the “creepy crawly” sensations actually are… and i also wonder what the medical term for it is…

That’s easy: Creepious Crawlious, probably

Ron, KS