Pregnancy

Hi,

I have a facial AVM and was succesfully treated with embrolisation (no more feeding vessles to close)at UCHL in 2009, the doctors consider me cured, however, they are not contemplating surgery due to the location (masseter muscle), I was wondering if anyone has gone on to be pregnant without complications?

Sara

Ok- so the "easy" answer is yes. However, there have also been people who have had their AVM become an issue, or really even be discovered due to a pregnancy. I honestly don't know what the "magic" peice is that lets some be fine and others have complications. I would say that after your embo's with Yakes and with the docs considering you cured, that a pregnancy prob has less likelihood of being an issue for you. PLUS the docs could watch for signs of it becoming a problem. Did you ck with Yakes office? Were they able to give you advice either way? I'm not completely sure they would in this type of situation. At least not tell you wether to get pregnant or not. Kinda overstepping for them to say! But did they give you info about what could or might happen? What the chance is of complications?

Ge in touch with Maria http://www.avmsurvivors.org/profile/MariaODonnell?xg_source=profiles_memberList

She has it in the same muscle, has gone through a pregnancy, and lives in the UK too! You ladies have tons in common :)

Shalon

Hi,

Many thnaks for your reply.
I did ask the doctors back in 2008 and was told that they simply dont know what would happen, as I asked before my treatment, I should probably go back and speak to them again. Have not been able to find anything about pregnancy post AVM, all most everything centre around the discovery of AVMs during pregnancy, but I will keep looking.

Kind regards,

Sara

Hey Sara- ck out Roxanne & Louisa. Roxanne had children post AVM treatment, and Louisa just had a child with an active AVM. But again, I don't think anyone could tell you really what might happen any better than docs giving you possible and "probable" situations. If there is any little bit of AVM left, it could absolutely be jump started by a pregnancy. And it could also just have no influence and you'd have a perfectly normal pregnancy.

I'd push the docs a bit more. What they told you pre-treatment...well of course they can't know for sure, but they should have still been able to give you info about the possibilities. Really, from everything I understand the "possible" complications are the same pre or post op. As long as there is any AVM the risk exists. It's just that it should theoretically be drastically LESS risky with a successfully treated/removed AVM.

Good luck lady!

Sara Vestergaard said:

Hi,

Many thnaks for your reply.
I did ask the doctors back in 2008 and was told that they simply dont know what would happen, as I asked before my treatment, I should probably go back and speak to them again. Have not been able to find anything about pregnancy post AVM, all most everything centre around the discovery of AVMs during pregnancy, but I will keep looking.

Kind regards,

Sara

Hi Sara. The actress Patricia Neal in the 1960s had a series of several strokes while pregnant. These were not caused by an AVM. However, in those days there were no MRI or CT scans just x-rays. Hard to believe but the baby was healthy when it was delivered. Best of luck with the pregnancy!!!

Hi Sara, I have had 3 kids. My AVM is located in my hand. I can never get rid of it. I was 17(1990) and 19(1993) when my first two kids were born. Pregnancy does aggravate AVMs. The kids are fine with no problems at all. My thumb tip did get a little worse. In 2002, I had a (glue) embolization, and while under, I had a stroke. Since the doctors didn’t know why, they took me off of my birth control (pills). A year later, I became pregnant with my 3rd child. We were all concerned because of the pressure I would be putting my body under (while pushing), and possible rupturing my AVM. Plus, the fact that I was older. In 2004, I delivered (vaginally) a healthy baby, with no complications. I know everyone is different, but if you decide on pregnancy, please watch it closely and keep monitored by doctors (esspecially at delivery time). So yes, I had 2 pregnancies before any procedures and 1 after procedures/stroke, all while having an active AVM. I wouldn’t say “no complications” but, a little. However, it sounds like you would probable do ok with pregnancy. I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Hi Sara,

I had my son before I even knew about my avm. They think my headaches started 1 1/2 yrs later from being pregnant. I asked if my husband and I could have another child and they said no not until the avm is gone. My avm is located in my left temporal lobe and was 5 cm. I'm still being treated and have again asked about having a baby and was told by the Dr that if I was his wife he would not do it. So on a professional level and as a "regular" person he has said no over a 3 yr span. So I would ask and they will recommend what is best for you and where you stand as far as what trouble you could have. Best of luck!!!!!!!

Many thanks for this.

Kind regards,

Stephanie M. Taylor said:

Hi Sara, I have had 3 kids. My AVM is located in my hand. I can never get rid of it. I was 17(1990) and 19(1993) when my first two kids were born. Pregnancy does aggravate AVMs. The kids are fine with no problems at all. My thumb tip did get a little worse. In 2002, I had a (glue) embolization, and while under, I had a stroke. Since the doctors didn't know why, they took me off of my birth control (pills). A year later, I became pregnant with my 3rd child. We were all concerned because of the pressure I would be putting my body under (while pushing), and possible rupturing my AVM. Plus, the fact that I was older. In 2004, I delivered (vaginally) a healthy baby, with no complications. I know everyone is different, but if you decide on pregnancy, please watch it closely and keep monitored by doctors (esspecially at delivery time). So yes, I had 2 pregnancies before any procedures and 1 after procedures/stroke, all while having an active AVM. I wouldn't say "no complications" but, a little. However, it sounds like you would probable do ok with pregnancy. I wish you the best of luck in your decision.