Problems with Hair falling out after Gamma Knnife?

Well, we are back and it's been about 2-3 weeks after my wife had her first Gamma Knife treatment. It went well with no side effects. Until now ,but we are wondering if the hair falling ( slight) is one of the effects of the radiation. Can anyone reply if they had this too.

As to those who have not or is pending a Gamma Knife treatment the only thing we suggest is force your self to eat during the break between installation of the halo and Mri. If not ,you will vomite with the sedation and all. So eat.

My wife went through it pretty good. But she is a trooper too.

Andy

Yep, the radiation caused it at the places the beams go in. It will grow back. Key word: Comb-over. It works for Trump.

Ron, KS

Yes, I’m having the same treatment but on Tuesday. My doc advised that more than likely the hair will fall out at the areabut not to worry because it will grow back! If she feels selfconcious, she can get clips with hair attached, wear scarves or cute hats! I am glad to hear she is feeling well!

i had gamma knife 4 years ago and never lost any of my hair but they did say i could do.

I lost a good size area of hair both times i had gamma. Thankfully my hair grows fast and came in within a month or two! Happy to hear things went great, but I was not allowed to eat the entire day. The first time i did vomit and the 2nd time i did not. So part of it could havce been nerves because you dont know what to except. I pray she wont need anymore gamma like I did but its was easier the 2nd time then the 1st :slight_smile:

Hi there. My son lost a patch of hair about a month after Gamma. His scalp started hurting one morning and then we were able to pull out his hair in little clumps. Eventually he did lose all the hair in one patch about 2 inches wide. IT started to grow back in less than a month.

Thank you all for responding. Now I can tell my wife that it is common. Yes, I hope she does not need another treatment. She is due for an MRI in July. Thanks again to all and wish you all good luck.

yep, i had the same thing 4 big clumbs where the halo was its grew back straight away though just the trauma to the hair follicles, they will recover :slight_smile:

I had the same as you Jazzi. Just around the pin sights when it was healing.

Jaszi Jazz - Brisbane said:

yep, i had the same thing 4 big clumbs where the halo was its grew back straight away though just the trauma to the hair follicles, they will recover :slight_smile:

How is your wife feeling? Is her hair still falling out? A few days ago my hair started coming out quite a bit, but not from radiation, but from where the halo pins were in the back of my head. Take care!

My wife is doing fine. Her hair has stop falling out. It was for a short time. You will be fine too.