Query re getting personal

Hello all, A strange and personal question, but after a femoral artery embolisation, and a closure device, how long should we obstain for? Or, is there no worries about that?

Amanda

thanks jason,

Hi, I was just reading and notice what the question was about so my question to you is the doctors don’t think that sexual activity is that strenous for people that have AVM or even after embo. for a while that we can return to that type of activity when we feel like it. I had ask my nurse the same question and she did the same thing smile at me. Also after each one of your embos did you feel like it soon?

Greg Kovach said:

Hi Amanda,
I’ve had 4 embos over the last 7 months and after each procedure my doc told me no strenous exercise or activity for 3-4 days after discharge. It was funny b/c when I questioned “strenuous activity” my first ICU nurse just kinda winked, like “oh yea, that too!” lol. Their main concern is any activity that could possibly dislodge the clot, or healing in ur femoral artery. Hope it helps, best of luck. -GK

Sheree, sorry it took me so long to respond to you, I just noticed ur comment:(…My opinion is that the reasoning for no sexual/strenous activity post embo, is because ur femoral artery needs time heal. After 3-5 days the groin should be healed and all activity is okay. With regard to our avm’s, I have never heard anything about limiting ‘those’ activities:) I was told as a teenager to be careful when lifting weights and not to do any powerlifting over my head or scuba diving deeper than 100 ft. NEVER were those “personal” activities a concern:) Hope that was clear. -GK

sheree d ellison said:

Hi, I was just reading and notice what the question was about so my question to you is the doctors don’t think that sexual activity is that strenous for people that have AVM or even after embo. for a while that we can return to that type of activity when we feel like it. I had ask my nurse the same question and she did the same thing smile at me. Also after each one of your embos did you feel like it soon?

Greg Kovach said:
Hi Amanda,
I’ve had 4 embos over the last 7 months and after each procedure my doc told me no strenous exercise or activity for 3-4 days after discharge. It was funny b/c when I questioned “strenuous activity” my first ICU nurse just kinda winked, like “oh yea, that too!” lol. Their main concern is any activity that could possibly dislodge the clot, or healing in ur femoral artery. Hope it helps, best of luck. -GK

HI,THANKS FOR THE REPLY, AS U MAY HAVE READ, I GO FOR MY FIRST EMBO. AUG 5TH SO YOUR ANSWER RIGHT ON TIME, THANKS AGAIN

Greg Kovach said:

Sheree, sorry it took me so long to respond to you, I just noticed ur comment:(…My opinion is that the reasoning for no sexual/strenous activity post embo, is because ur femoral artery needs time heal. After 3-5 days the groin should be healed and all activity is okay. With regard to our avm’s, I have never heard anything about limiting ‘those’ activities:) I was told as a teenager to be careful when and not to do any powerlifting over my head or diving deeper than 100 ft. NEVER were those “personal” activities a concern:) Hope that was clear. -GK

sheree d ellison said:

Greg Kovach said:
Hi Amanda,

hI, THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER, I AM A FEW DAY’S OUT FROM MY FIRST EMBO. BUT MY IDEA ON THE OBSTAIN HAS CHANGED NOW, MY HEAD HURT’S SO DONT THINK ABOUT IT AS MUCH AS I DID BEFORE LOL. ONE DAY IT WILL COME BACK THANKS

sheree d ellison said:

HI,THANKS FOR THE REPLY, AS U MAY HAVE READ, I GO FOR MY FIRST EMBO. AUG 5TH SO YOUR ANSWER RIGHT ON TIME, THANKS AGAIN

Greg Kovach said:
Sheree, sorry it took me so long to respond to you, I just noticed ur comment:(…My opinion is that the reasoning for no sexual/strenous activity post embo, is because ur femoral artery needs time heal. After 3-5 days the groin should be healed and all activity is okay. With regard to our avm’s, I have never heard anything about limiting ‘those’ activities:) I was told as a teenager to be careful when and not to do any powerlifting over my head or diving deeper than 100 ft. NEVER were those “personal” activities a concern:) Hope that was clear. -GK

sheree d ellison said:

Greg Kovach said:
Hi Amanda,