Questions about Onyx embolic material

I had a 5 hour embolization and surgery for an AVM on my left ear and scalp 2 years ago. I lost the top half of my ear. Just had a follow-up CTA and the AVM has returned and is in the skin all the way around my ear and in the parotid gland in front of my ear. The surgeon wants me to have it embolizxed with Onyx which he says will make my hair fall out in the back, my skin turn black–(hopefully not permanently), he says and the skin to ulcerate. I really don’t like the thought of having something that toxic in my body forever as he’s not planning to do surgery since it would take such a huge skin graft and the facial nerves are so near the parotid gland. Any one had any experience with Onyx?

i had 3 embos in my brain with onyx…followed by a crainatonomy…i did have a few problems with my scar incisions on my scalp healing …to the point where it became nuerotic and i had to have all the dead skin removed and restiched…as it slowed the blood flow to the scalp …it also slowed the hair regrowth dramatically…but was very effective as an embolising material

Thanks for your reply. Did your doctors discuss anything about Onyx with you as far as it’s long term safety or why it makes your skin necrotic etc? Kimberly

the doctors did explain that the reason the skin on head did not heal and went neurotic…was because the onyx…reduced the blood flow to the scalp…therefore it had no blood supply to heal…the same reason it took so long for my hair to grow back …reduced blood flow to hair folicles…i am no doctor but i would say this is what had happened to your ear too…am i right?..doctors never spoke about long term effects…just said it had been used for many years and was a safe and effective embloising agent…hope this helps

I had my embolization by using Onyx in July, this year, and I had no negative effects like my hair falling out, or with my skin turning black, no ulceration whatsoever.
I’ve had only one problem but with the anaesthetic material I received during the surgery, it made me sick for a week.
But after that, I always got sick whenever a cold fron hit the country, which happened weekly. The only good thing was that it all happened with decreasing intensity. First it lasted for 3 days, then 2 then one, then for hours, etc. Now I have no symptom.
Since the anaesthetic material must have been cleared out of my veins, I guess the Onyx caused this sickness for so long- for almost two months.

You mean you were nauseous sick from the Onyx or what kind of sick? I usually get really sick from GA and throw up every 30 seconds for 8 hours–except for the last time when I had AVM surgery. I talked to the anesthesiologist and he sida if he put the anesthesia in really fast I wouldn’t get sick and I didn’t. Kimberly

Alex said:

I had my embolization by using Onyx in July, this year, and I had no negative effects like my hair falling out, or with my skin turning black, no ulceration whatsoever.
I’ve had only one problem but with the anaesthetic material I received during the surgery, it made me sick for a week.
But after that, I always got sick whenever a cold fron hit the country, which happened weekly. The only good thing was that it all happened with decreasing intensity. First it lasted for 3 days, then 2 then one, then for hours, etc. Now I have no symptom.
Since the anaesthetic material must have been cleared out of my veins, I guess the Onyx caused this sickness for so long- for almost two months.

I was sick like throwing up at the beginning in July after my embolization for 4 days, now I have only a bit dizziness and nausea that remained before cold fronts. But I forgot to say that I also had a constant headache after my embolization for a month, which went away after taking a nice amount of painkillers.