Radiation Burns/Hair Loss

I had my first embolization 6 weeks ago and two weeks after the procedure I lost my hair in two different areas of my scalp. When I first called the surgeon she said that it may be caused by the blood flow but after she looked at it she acknowledged that it was probably from radiation burns.
My scalp is still tender, especially in the areas of the hair loss, and I am concerned since I am having the next embolization on September 9th.
Does anyone have experience from this or how to deal with the “pain” associated with it?
I have talked to the Drs. but the most common response I get is that this hasn’t happened before and that they will be more careful.

Hi Ross
I lost all my hair at the back of my head about 2 weeks after my embo
there are lots of people on here who suffer hair loss after a procedure so don’t know why the docs are saying that
My hair returned in about 6 months, my doc said the hair loss was due to trauma and my boby getting a shock friom the treatment
I was already on pain tablets after the bleed so i just continued to take tyhem, I couldn’t say the hair loss made it worse or better, but you’ll get plenty of other replies on this topic fromothers, take care.

Hi Ross
I did not experience hair loss from the embolizations but I did after the gamma knife and lineac procedures. My head was very tender and it hurt to even touch it after all my procedures. I would soak a wash cloth in ice water and kept applying it to the area and I bought a neck pill to sleep with that help take the pressure off my head. The pillow also elevated my head so it was not taking the full weight when laying down. I did take pain medication too when nothing else was working. I hope this helps some.

Lee Ann

My hair is falling out now… it started about 3 weeks after my last embo. I had 2 embos and 1 angiogram. I also had a total of 3 CT scans. I’m also on Keppra, which could be part of the reason it’s falling out, but I go to the doc on monday so we’ll see what he says

doctor said my hair loss is from radiation from embo’s i had (2)

Amber said:

My hair is falling out now… it started about 3 weeks after my last embo. I had 2 embos and 1 angiogram. I also had a total of 3 CT scans. I’m also on Keppra, which could be part of the reason it’s falling out, but I go to the doc on monday so we’ll see what he says