Radiation--MR angiography anyone?

Hi there,

Has anyone had MRI angiography? It has no radiation, and I’m wondering why I’m booked for the much riskier CT angiography instead.

Take care

Hi - I have had an angiogram, but thats riskier than the CT - havent heard of the MRI angiography - angio usually means chest or plural space…??

Vera
Didn’t have much time this morning check this site out hope it helps.
http://www.ct-angiogram.com/The_Difference_between_CT_Angiogram_and_MR_Angiogram_63.htm
Welcome to the site ! cya Gordon

I had a CT angiogram. I’m not sure why they choose CT angiographies over MRI angiographies. MAYBE they show a better picture. I’m not a medical professional at all so I really have no idea haha. This is just a guess.
Alyssa

Hi Guys,

So I asked my neurologist about MRI angiography, and he said the resolution just isn’t good enough. As a result, we AVM sufferers will be getting some radiation from CT scans.

Take care,

Vera

I understand from the discussion that CT Angio gives better results. Is it a substitute for the real angiography, which is invasive and has its own associated risks? I was told that a real angio will be done 2-3 years after radiation to confirm if the AVM is completely obliterated. If CT Angio can substitute real Angio, it might be worth taking the radiation to avoid the risks of real angio!

My son has only had 2 CT scans and that was for 2 emergency visits at our local hospital- one when he had his first seizure and then when had another seizure from brain swelling.
EVERY time our neuro people check his AVM, they only do MRI or MRA’s.

As soon as they confirmed my son’s AVM on the MRI, they booked him for an angiogram.
I’m a bit confused by this. Will look into it a bit more.

My avm was discovered thru a ct scan and they said I would have to have an MRI to show a clearer picture of the vessells - I then have angiogram surgery to get even clearer results but this is only used when they are 100% sure it’s needed as there is the risk of stroke

Soooo… It turns out, CT angiography isn’t great for visualizing AMVs either. The best is x-ray angiography where they place a catheter through an artery in the groin and travel up to the brain where they inject dye and take pictures…the procedure itself is quite painless, but some, including myself, experience bad side effects.

Take care,
V

Yes. From what I’ve learned, an MR Angiography is the least clear, a CT angiography is clearer, but an x-ray angiogram gives you the clearest pictures of the vasculature in the brain. Ryan’s had an MR Angiography and he’s scheduled for an x-ray angio on May 5th. Thankfully, he’ll be under general anesthesia for it.

yes, ive had one for my avm and shoulder, never had a problem, i also had a ct angio on my lungs when i was younger, i didnt know that they did ct angiographys for avms though, i had never heard of the resolution being a problem

I had an angiogram. Where they do enter through a vein In the groin area it is painless. They put u under general anesthesia. It gives them a clearer picture of all the veins involved in your avm. It literally takes like a 1000 little pictures. I fel no pain. N was fine after. The only pain In the butt was laying on your back in the hospital for 6 hours to let the insertion sight heal. They found my avm was very intricate n decided to not go ahead with surgery. Now looking into gamma knife

Kelly Nelsen said:

Yes. From what I’ve learned, an MR Angiography is the least clear, a CT angiography is clearer, but an x-ray angiogram gives you the clearest pictures of the vasculature in the brain. Ryan’s had an MR Angiography and he’s scheduled for an x-ray angio on May 5th. Thankfully, he’ll be under general anesthesia for it.

Hi Jaszi,

Yes, the angiogram is a bit riskier. They insert a catheter (like a long piece of spaghetti) into an artery in your inner thigh, then push it up to the base of your skull and inject some dye and take pictures. They do do angiography (angio) a lot in the heart after heart attacks, but this is similar (just looking at the brain vessels instead). Not fun are they?

Take care,
V

Jaszi Rose said:

Hi - I have had an angiogram, but thats riskier than the CT - havent heard of the MRI angiography - angio usually means chest or plural space…??

If anyone happens to be scheduled for an angiogram and wants some info froma guy that has been through it before (three times), you may find this link useful. (Check out my first reply to the post.)

http://www.avmsurvivors.org/forum/topics/my-first-cerebral-angiogra…

Hi, Renee-
They don’t always give you pain killers. I found out the hard way the last time I had this done. I had to put up with the entire procedure without any numbing because the radiologist said he wanted me to be aware enough to talk to him…never again…and the hospital heard about it, too!

Jaszi Rose said:

My Angiography went much nicer than I expected. I was worried as it was the first time I had ever been sedated in any way. At first it was scary but when they gave me that cocktail of something mixed with morphine they told me to pick a vacation spot and he said he was going to give me a shot of whiskey “in a joking voice of course”. The only discomfit I felt was when I was sobering up 20 mins later they put some kind of dissolving plug in the incision point in my groin. It was not bad at all. I was a little tender in that groin area for about week but when I pulled off the plaster I was expecting a 1/4" scar but it was more like a pin prick. This is an example of a high res AVM picture from my Angio