Rollercoasters

My husband's AVM ruptured 2 years ago on July 10th. Since then he has had 2 emboliztions using glue, he has had radiation and was told the beginning of the year that there is no more blood flow to the AVM. Our children want to go to Fiesta Texas and they love to ride rollercoasters. Matt loves to ride them too, but I was wondering what everyone had been told about this activity? Is it safe, he has no restrictions on him of any kind and no affects from the AVM. Just curious what your experiences were and if anyone has been on a rollercoaster since their AVM ruptured??? Thanks for the help and any informaion you all have to share.

Donns

Hi Donna,

A very good question! I had my surgery (craniotomy) a little over 5 years ago. I was out of work for 9 months following my surgery, went through a few months of 3 different types of physical and neurological therapy, and was on multiple medications. The week before I returned to work, my wife surprised me with a trip to Disneyland. We live a little over 20 miles away and have been there more times than I can count, but this was my first time since my surgery. A few months prior, I had a grand mal seizure, and was dealing with dozens of simple partial sezires for a year or so prior to my surgery. That being the case, the thought of going on rides that could cause a lot of stimulation left me feeling rather uneasy. The neurosurgeon had given me the “all clear” with the exception of strenuous physical activity.

We started out the day on fairly gentle, laid-back stuff and worked our way up to the more “wild” stuff. I did well… No trouble, no discomfort, no symptoms that even made me feel like maybe I was doing more than I should. However, being very familiar with all of the attractions at Disneyland, I did what I could to help reduce the chances of anything triggering a seizure. For example, some of the rides have strobe lights and other visual effects that are known seizure triggers.

Of course, just because I was OK doesn’t mean everyone will be the same, and Disneyland is pretty mellow compared to a lot of amusement parks out there when it comes to wild rides. My personal thought: If he has been given the “all clear” by his doctor, he has not been having seizure activity due to his AVM, he is comfortable in going on these rides, and is willing to keep an eye on any signs that his body may show while at the park, then he may be OK.

My situation is a lil different…I had a bleed followed by a craniotomy. I asked my doctor specificall about roller coasters and he said they were fine. I have been on multiple rides, roller coasters and water slides with no effect.

Always check wih your dr!

Yes, always check with your doctor. My situation is also different as my AVM is still active, inoperable. I’ve had numerous bleeds. I rode a rollercoaster about 12 years ago, in Las Vegas at Circus Circus, I don’t think it was an extreme ride but it jostled me enough that I went blind temporarily. I couldn’t see for about 10 minutes, a few of those minutes while on the ride (a blessing maybe lol) and after getting off the ride, not to mention the headache.

Donna,
Prior to me having any symptoms of my AVM I had gone to Knotts Berry Farm and was so excited to ride all of the roller coasters. That next night I had to worst headache of my life and couldn’t sleep because I was literally clawing at my skull because the pain was so bad and no medications would help. Again this was prior to knowing anything about my AVM. When I was finally diagnosed almost a year later my doctor asked my about any type of activity I’d done when my “symptoms” first started and I let him know of my roller coaster experience. I’m awaiting radiation for mine as it has been deemed inoperable but my neuro has told me that I’m not under any circumstances to ride a roller coaster again. I understand that your husband enjoys this activity but perhaps it isn’t in his best interest to do it anymore. I’m not a doc :slight_smile: Has he asked this question specifically to his doc?
Best wishes

Jessica,
We are putting in a call to the neuro doc on Monday and will see what he has to say. I wanted to see what everyone else had been told. So far mixed opinions and experiences so we will see what the doctor says. Thanks for the input.

Jessica Ables said:

Donna,
Prior to me having any symptoms of my AVM I had gone to Knotts Berry Farm and was so excited to ride all of the roller coasters. That next night I had to worst headache of my life and couldn’t sleep because I was literally clawing at my skull because the pain was so bad and no medications would help. Again this was prior to knowing anything about my AVM. When I was finally diagnosed almost a year later my doctor asked my about any type of activity I’d done when my “symptoms” first started and I let him know of my roller coaster experience. I’m awaiting radiation for mine as it has been deemed inoperable but my neuro has told me that I’m not under any circumstances to ride a roller coaster again. I understand that your husband enjoys this activity but perhaps it isn’t in his best interest to do it anymore. I’m not a doc :slight_smile: Has he asked this question specifically to his doc?
Best wishes

Good question. I’m glad you asked this. I am also curious, since I have an active AVM. I just stayed home recently while my family went to Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, VA, without me. We love our amusement parks, but I wasn’t about to risk it.

I wanted to ask this same question since I’ve been invited to go to an amusement park. It’s been 3 years since my operation. There’s a few topics on here for the same question, and after reading them I think I’m going to turn down the invitation… I don’t even like rides so it ain’t a big loss.

Hi Donna, when i had my ‘20 questions’ session about 6 weeks after my Ops, my neuro surgeon said: Why would you want to at 51? he suggested that I wear a helmet when doing any strenuous activity, but i’m not that keen on looking (more) like a dork. Another thing to be aware of - should your hubby ever decide to go diving - make sure he gets a clearance in writing, as tour operators can refuse, once they become aware of any medical condition.
Its a precautionary thing, to protect themselves, and this may also apply for certain rides too. I was planning on doing the ‘ShotOver jet boat’ in New Zealand on an upcoming holiday, but may have to can that idea, unless my neuro gives the okay in writing.